Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Some thoughts, in no particular order

  • We really need to network our two computers. This running up and down the stairs with a USB stick is getting old.
  • On the other hand, it must be said that USB sticks rule all.
  • There are a lot of people doing NaBloPoMo. A whole, whole lot. If you don't already know how many, take a guess now and I'll tell you in a minute.
  • Dad's coming for a visit today.
  • For someone who goes on about technology as much as I do, you'll be surprised to hear that yesterday I think I saw my first real, live iPod. Ever. They're either smaller than I thought, or I was wrong and that's not what it was.
  • I calculated the number of people in NaBloPoMo by copying the list into a spreadsheet and deleting the lines between sections. There are a total of two thousand sixteen people signed up for this daily blogging business.
  • Thirty-one people have donated prizes, to be awarded to randomly chosen participants who successfully complete the month.
  • A couple of them have donated more than one prize, but still, the odds of winning something are not in my favor.
  • But, thanks to this list, I am still in the running.
And now, to round out the post, I'll throw in some pseudo-Halloween pictures. (The pictures are real, it's the Halloween that was pseudo.) Since Costa Rica doesn't really celebrate Halloween, I told the girls we'd carve a pumpkin if we could find one, or some other likely-looking fruit or vegetable if not.

I knew there were actual, orange pumpkins for sale at the fancy grocery store, but like Thanksgiving turkeys (which go for close to $100), they were imported specially for the expats, and priced accordingly. $15 for a pumpkin? I think not.

I was actually kind of looking forward to making a watermelon o' lantern, but unfortunately I found a squash/gourd vegetable (for $2) that is, in fact a pumpkin in every way except for its skin color. Stands to reason, in a country where oranges are green on the outside and yellowish orange on the inside. And where what looks like a succulent mandarin orange is, in fact, something much more suited to squeezing over your fish than putting directly into your mouth.

I also bought some giant cookies, a can of frosting and some chocolate chips, so while I carved the jack o' lantern (with a face on each side), they made their own pumpkin faces.








4 comments:

Anonymous November 08, 2006 10:42 PM  

I keep telling myself, "Next semester will be ten times better." I am so inundated that Halloween came and went and it NEVER EVEN OCCURRED TO ME that we often carve a pumpkin. (And I've given up on decorating the front steps with pumpkins because the squirrels eat them, leaving an unattractive mess and me fuming.)

I'm glad to be able to enjoy yours.

Lainey-Paney November 10, 2006 11:01 AM  

...I'm sorry, but I'm stuck on turkeys costing $100 there.
That's crazy!

...so, when my husband & I retire to Costa Rica, we should buy some land (not without looking at it first of course! I know how you feel about that) & then open a turkey farm!!!
..and if we can, we'll grow pumpkins too!

Jennifer November 10, 2006 11:12 AM  

See now, ladies and gentlemen, this is a woman who is thinking about the future.

Lainey-paney, you'll be a millionaire. Of course a million of our local currency is actually only worth about $2000 so you may want to have a backup plan in place.

Kit November 10, 2006 10:58 PM  

Cool squash lanterns! We also use whatever squash there is available instead of pumpkin, but we usually do it as an autumn harvest festival here in March, as the Halloween date isn't big here and it's not an essential part of my English background either.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP