Wednesday, November 22, 2006

All together now, "Wha...?"

So I'm standing out by the car, doing my best to help Alex get out of here quickly so he won't be late to pick up the girls.

I'm contemplating whether it's worth trying to talk him out of checking the oil (Now? Right now? Really?) and loading up three tree stumps. (He's been wanting to take the stumps down to his mother's house for over a week now, but thus far has only ever managed to mention it twice; the first being last week when it was dark and pouring rain and I gently [well, you know] suggested that there might be a better time for it. [Clearly there was, and it was this afternoon, when he was already running late to pick up the girls (having just barely made it through his grueling morning schedule of talking on the phone and asking me for favors.)])

I decide that helping him do it quickly will probably work better than trying to convince him that anything that's waited all week can wait one more hour.

(I know, there is nothing at all extraordinary about the picture I've painted here. Bear with me for just one more line if you would.)

So then Alex walks out of the house with the spare quart of oil, hands me a snake bite kit, and heads over to pour the oil into the reservoir, which I have opened in anticipation and efficiency.

Now he's over there, visibly accomplishing something productive while I'm left standing in the yard with a snake bite kit in my hand.

*whimpers*

7 comments:

deedee November 23, 2006 3:09 AM  

It must be a man thing. My husband never checks the pressure in the tires until we are late going somewhere, and then he just has to do it.

Anonymous November 23, 2006 10:14 AM  

Well of course. You ALWAYS should check the tires before a trip. The oil level, too.

[I suppose the "just before the (late) departure" part is negotiable, however...]

Written by a man...

:)

Jennifer November 23, 2006 10:34 AM  

"before a trip" - we're right there with ya.

"before the 5-mile round-trip to pick the girls up from school like we do every single day and did this morning to drop them off" - not so much.

Just humor them, girls. Just humor them.

Lainey-Paney November 24, 2006 9:35 AM  

Um...I'm still stuck on the "snake bite kit". You carry those around in your cars---just in case?

Jennifer November 24, 2006 12:06 PM  

Oh, right. The snake bite kit.

No, we don't carry them around. Alex is a land surveyor and sometimes works in woodsy places where snakes are an issue. He's never been bitten, but carrying the kit when he's out in the field is a good idea. I don't know where he got it, but he handed it to me that day because the instructions were in English and he wanted me to read it to him.

Not right at that moment, mind you, but somehow, in his mind, bringing it out of the house and handing it to me in the midst of the oil checking and stump loading was a perfectly logical thing to do.

Anonymous November 26, 2006 2:23 PM  

how late were you?

Jennifer November 26, 2006 6:52 PM  

Probably ten minutes or so, in the end.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP