Thursday, November 09, 2006

I don't know but I've been told

As a non-native speaker of Spanish, I am often told one of two things:

  • "Wow, you don't even have an accent!"
Or, conversely:
  • "You never lose the accent!"
Similarly, people who know us both generally either agree that my sister Lisa and I look very much alike, or absolutely nothing alike.

(That we sound alike has been extensively documented, not only by unsuspecting telephone callers, but also by an independent study involving the numerous individuals who were monitoring the internal radio frequency at a certain state zoo one particular afternoon of one particular day and were never the wiser.)

In the case of our physical appearance, many people are led astray by the fact that her hair looks like this:


While mine looks like this:


However, I would like to submit that, if one is able to get past the hair, we both pretty much look like this:


That's me on the left, taken last night by Dad, and her on the right, taken by Mom earlier this year. Sorry it's blurry - I had to biggify it a little.

Here's the original shot of me, plus another one just for fun.


3 comments:

deedee November 10, 2006 9:14 AM  

I get that same thing with comments on who my daughters look like, me or their dad. All of us are very different looking.

Anonymous November 10, 2006 10:16 AM  

Note to self: Must send more flattering close-up to sister.

I like the first two.

I can actually see more likeness as we age. Partly because my hair is longer and beponytailed (sorry, hangover from last week's blog)and your face is thinner now. And it looks like maybe we're ending up with similar laugh lines 'n such. Like that little line at the corner of our right eyes (and presumably left), and all that stuff around our mouthes.

I only remember one time being told I looked like Mom. It's always Dad. Do you get told either?

Oh, and I didn't mention... sometimes I think Robin looks like you used to, but in the photos from the other day, I saw one of Julia that looked like you. It was "We put the camera on the ground," with her and the top of your head.

Jennifer November 10, 2006 10:27 AM  

It's usually Dad, if anything.

But now any comparisons that are made usually have to do with my girls and me or Alex. As far as that goes, we get both.

I guess I get more "they look just like you" because I'm the one that's standing right there, and a lot of times the people don't know Alex in the first place. I remember when Robin was born, thinking she looked a lot like Dad's baby pictures.

As for the picture of you, I think it's a perfectly nice one, but the truth is I didn't have a lot to choose from because most of the ones I have access to were sent by E-mail, and when I cropped out just your face it was itsy bitsy. This one was in Mom's Flickr set, where she had uploaded some full-sized digital pictures.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP