Friday, November 10, 2006

More about Jen

I don't know about that Erin. She didn't tag me this time, but I liked her meme and think I need to do it.

Worse, I need to do it right now, because some of the questions are time-sensitive and I like the way they come out for today.

Drat that Erin, drat her.

  1. Explain what ended your last relationship.

    Well, last before current, obviously. Uhmmmmm. Having trouble even recalling what that would have been. Oh yeah, must have been that one.

    Turned out we weren't at the same place on the spectrum of physical vs. emotional expectations for the relationship. Fortunately, this was discovered before either of us got hurt or overly frustrated. Short-lived but amicable. Still friends, or would have been if we ever saw each other again after college.

  2. When was the last time you shaved?

    This happens more regularly now that I don short stretchy pants and tank tops on an almost daily basis.

    Underarms today (and most days) in the shower. Legs, erm...some time late last week, I'm thinking. I used conditioner for shaving cream and although it seemed like it might be gumming up the razor at the time, I really liked the results. It's time again but I keep putting it off because Alex has this electric razor dealy that I've been wanting to try out but neither of us has remembered to dig it out and charge it up.

  3. What were you doing this morning at 8 a.m.?

    Waiting for the dance/aerobics class to start at the gym. There weren't that many people there yet, maybe three or four guys working out and three or four girls waiting for the class. Carlos, the instructor (who has been mentioned here before [if you follow those links, scroll down to 8:05 and 9:00 a.m., respectively]) was--not uncharacteristically--in a playful mood and the talk was, as usual, light, funny, and absolutely dripping with sexual innuendo.

    Abel convinced Carlos to "show them the Transformer," so Carlos went out to his tricked-out sports car to get his bluetooth headset. He explained to those of us assembled that this was his Transformer, and that pressing its little button would effect a transformation into any number of things, including a variety of fruits and vegetables (listed by name), a hummingbird, a manly man, a not-so-manly man, etc.

    Carlos invited one of the guys to press his button in order to invoke a Transformation into a hummingbird. The guy went a bit pale and suddenly needed to do something way across the room (he must be new), but Carlos was undeterred.

    But then. Alex's cousin Shirley, who is also a member of the gym, arrived for the dance class with her seven-year-old daughter. The presence of a minor put an end to the Transformer demonstration and we all headed in for the dance class.

    Drat that Shirley, drat her!

  4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago?

    Looking up my past two references to Carlos the aerobics instructor. Seriously, I wish I could post a picture of him, but the physique, as noteworthy as it is, is only half the story. You really have to experience the man.

  5. Are you any good at math?

    Oh, sure.

  6. Your prom night?

    Not a lot of specific memories of the dance, which went fine. I do remember the fancy restaurant where we had dinner before the prom. I ordered rabbit with a cherry sauce because it was exotic and fancy and I like cherries. Someone at the table made "poor little Bambi/Thumper" comments, although I didn't see the practical difference between that and any other kind of meat.

    My friend John was very intimidated by the fancy, especially when he saw the waiter use a little brush to clear some crumbs from the table in front of one of the diners at a nearby table. He quickly brushed his own crumbs off the table and almost fainted when one of our other friends suggested that the waiter might then come out with a vacuum cleaner.

  7. Do you have any famous ancestors?

    Well, I have an ancestor who collected bits of famous people.

    Seriously, this guy collected illicit mementos from historic places - a bit of molding chipped off the wall of the theater where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated? Vandaliscious!

    Dig down another layer into the box of keepsakes and there's a scrap of linen with a hand-written note proclaiming the brownish stain to be some of Lincoln's blood from a bandage, secreted out of the room by a nurse who attended him on his deathbed.

    Shall we discuss the mummy finger? I think not.

  8. Have you had to take a loan out for school?

    Yes, but it wasn't too much and I was lucky enough to be able to borrow it from my grandparents. Even luckier to have them decide to forgive it when I graduated.

  9. Do you know the words to the song on your Myspace profile?

    The one time I ever visited myspace, I was confused, disoriented, and definitely under the impression that the "my" in myspace does not in fact refer to many of the out-of-college (or, in fact, out-of-high school) set.

    So, although the answer to that is "N/A," I would like to say that if I were in the position of selecting a song to add to my profile in an online community, the odds are pretty good that I'd choose one I knew the words to.*

    * Don't worry about that sentence ending in a preposition. I am (well, was) a professional translator and I'm authorized to do that.

  10. Last thing received in the mail?

    Oh, we are soooo not counting the phone bill that came yesterday because I got this earlier in the day, hand delivered by a driver from the US Embassy:



  11. How many different beverages have you had today?

    Cappuccino with breakfast. A bottle of water after the gym (OK, I admit it. I filled the bottle but I'm pretty sure I never actually drank it.) Umm. Small cup of coffee after lunch to be polite at my mother in law's house. Two small cups of coffee at a friend's house in the afternoon. And, well, technically, not anything else.

  12. Do you ever leave messages on people's answering machine?

    Sure, if I have something to say. I used to hate it (back in the olden days when answering machines were new technology), but now I don't care.

  13. Whom did you lose your CONCERT virginity to?

    I'm thinking that must have been the Monkees. When they made their comeback in the '80s, that is. I'm older than I look, but I'm not THAT old.

  14. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach?

    No. But I like to drag my feet when I walk and then look back to see the pattern it makes.

  15. What was the most painful dental procedure you have had?

    Getting braces fitted, adjusted and, eventually, removed probably amounted to more overall pain and discomfort than having my five (yes, five) wisdom teeth surgically removed.

  16. What is out your back door?

    Dog dishes on a sidewalk, eight feet of yard, a stand of bamboo, and a chain link fence.

  17. Any plans for Friday night?

    This is Friday night. And the girls are at a sleepover. I think Alex would have been game to go out, but Dad and I are too tired to do anything but sit around and check our E-mail. *Sniff*

  18. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair?

    Stiff and gritty? Not really. On the other hand, it is easier to twist it into a bun or put in a braid because it'll stay in just about forever and who cares what it looks like at the beach anyway? So, whatever.

  19. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns?

    No, never. I have received the odd Hickory Farms gift, though.

  20. Have you ever been to a planetarium?

    Yes. It was probably in Syracuse, where my family lived when I was in middle and high school. I think I was a little underwhelmed, rather like I was by Stonehenge when I actually saw that.

  21. Do you re-use towels after you shower?

    Oh, absolutely. Probably more so than strictly necessary.

  22. Some things you are excited about?

    Is it weird that I can't think of anything? Lots of things make me happy, but I'm not feeling particularly excited right now.

  23. What is your favorite flavor of JELLO?

    I have no strong feelings regarding Jello flavors, although when it comes to artificially colored foods in general, I suspect that anyone who was ever a child probably harbors a soft spot for "the red kind."

  24. Describe your key chain

    I bought it on a trip to the US probably 10 years ago. It's a standard key chain tag (sort of a teardrop) shape cut from a recycled motherboard (or similar computer component) so it's pretty much indestructible.

    Contains two one gate keys (the part we drive through and the door-in-gate part), one house key, [ETA: one car key, duh], and a little pretend key that will open the doors inside the house if one of the girls locks it from the inside. I always carry it in my back left pocket or, when in my pocketless gym clothes, in a little cloth purse that zips shut and has a long enough string that it hangs at waist level.

  25. Where do you keep your change?

    In my left front pocket (or with my keys in the little bag, see above). I try to spend it down as often as possible because Costa Rican coins are larger than they need to be, and end up getting bulky pretty quickly.

    Whenever I pay for something with exact change (or that special amount that will let the cashier give change consisting of an even 50, 100 or 500 [see question #5] so as to reduce the overall bulk of the coinage), I make a joke about lightening my load by a couple of kilos. This usually goes over fairly well.

  26. What kind of winter coat do you own?

    None. I have no winter coat because I live in the tropics. Hah! Take that, you temperate climate dwellers!

    Although I do have a light purple fleece jacket my sister gave me for Christmas a few years ago and it is occasionally chilly enough for that because, tropics notwithstanding, I live one mile above sea level and it does get down into the upper fifties (fahrenheit) sometimes.

  27. What was the weather like on your graduation day?

    Sunny and warm, both high school and college.

  28. Do you sleep with the door to your room open or closed?

    Open in case the girls need something in the night, and because the room smells stuffy in the morning if it's been closed all night.
(Erin says she saw this meme at Life, the Universe and Everything, which I will have to take her word for because I've never been there. But I like the title.)

3 comments:

Anonymous November 11, 2006 8:13 AM  

I know, I'm a big trouble maker. I can't help it. :)

My next post won't make you work, I promise.

Kit November 11, 2006 12:16 PM  

This meme got to me too, from you via Charlotte, I'm tracking it back, will go and look at Erin's now!

Anonymous November 11, 2006 12:23 PM  

So? What was that from the Embassy?

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP