Saturday, May 09, 2009

Coffee? Why yes, I believe I will.

So, Costa Rica is a really small country, and the Gringo community is smaller still. It's not exactly that everybody knows everybody, but after a while you find yourself part of a network. I don't immediately recognize any given foreigner I run into, but if they've been here a while, chances are we know some of the same people. To the point that when I asked my neighbor (who is not a foreigner, but who I met through my first job here, nearly 20 years ago, and who now lives four houses down from me and our kids are in the same class) for contacts, she went to a friend of hers who turned out to be a friend of mine, (recently returned to that same job from 20 years ago), who also used to rent a house to people at my current job and knows the guys from my other job from only 15 years ago, and she suggested I contact someone whose name I've heard mentioned plenty of times over the years, but whom I'd never met myself. And that same person has potluck get-togethers every so often, and I had already found myself semi-invited to that, and it's tonight.

So that should be enjoyable and probably get me back in touch with some folks from long-ish ago, and meet a few new ones and introduce Bob to another bit of the mythical Gringo Community.

It's not quite that small a country, though. The Enjoyable Event is on the whole other side of the Central Valley (ie, an hour away) and doesn't start till 8:00. Don't wait up.

1 comments:

Steve May 12, 2009 7:59 PM  

channeling my best Dudley Moore: ":It's such a small country Rhode Island could beat the crap out of it in a war"

Well I thought it was funny :)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP