Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oh, and?

We're reading The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver.

Click for the posts on Chapter 1 and Chapters 2 & 3.



I haven't forgotten about the book. In fact I intended to pre-blog Chapters 4 & 5 before leaving for the beach last Saturday, but the power went out before I could.

Why don't you all go ahead and say what you will about Chapters 4 & 5. I read them, but nothing stuck out to me at the time, and I can't go back over them right now to find quotable quotes. I don't want to let another week go by, so let's hear it.

Here, I'll get you started: Taylor and Lou Ann are just made for each other, aren't they? I love the last line of the chapter: "It's been so long," she said. "You talk just like me."



We'll keep going with the two chapters at a time, since 6 and 7 together are about the same length as what we've been reading so far. Hopefully I'll have more to contribute next Sunday :)

4 comments:

splord May 25, 2008 5:26 PM  

My impression is that chapters 4&5 were more for plot advancement than anything else - although I'm sure there's some foreshadowing along with the exposition (gee, my mom [the retired English teacher] will be proud of me for remembering those terms).

I still say that Mattie and the JV priest will be important to the story.

Anonymous May 25, 2008 5:42 PM  

chapter 4, I think, was about trying to give LouAnn's personality some background. Her dysfunction needed some explanation. (Oh, and Angel is an ass.)

Chapter 5 did the same for Taylor. But the scene with the hippie tofu-eaters was hysterical.

Steve May 25, 2008 7:49 PM  

and i left my comment on the wrong post lol

Anonymous May 26, 2008 6:41 PM  

"You talk just like me."

Interesting choice to lift from two chapters given the current situation.

I've read Anna Karenina every 10 years since I was 17. Each time it is a different novel. I find it interesting how, as we go through life, what we find in these novels reflects our own experiences. And no, throwing myself in front of a train just is not going to happen no matter how much anyone else may wish it. I"m too old for such drama. ;)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP