Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Accomplishment

We have only one television and I have no desire to take it with me when I move, so I spent the morning addressing a technical issue with the computer.

It plays CDs. Always has. It plays radio stations and songs and videos from the Internet. It plays all the little blips & bleeps programmed into Windows. It transmits our voices when we talk on Skype.

But for some reason, when I play a DVD I get no audio. I put in a music CD and it plays just fine. Swap it for a DVD and...nothing.

I tried updating drivers a few days ago, but that didn't seem to help, so today I downloaded & installed a number of different media players. A couple of them (the bigger name ones, in fact) reproduced the problem. Another one played the audio but with distractingly poor quality and a tendency to skip.

And, eventually, one worked just fine.

I enjoyed the process more than I otherwise would have because I used one of the girls' DVDs as a test subject and this was my sample track:



Special alternate version for the blog reader in a hurry:

6 comments:

Karin May 14, 2008 4:27 PM  

I <3 that video.

Brave Sir Robin May 14, 2008 5:59 PM  

OK - Question of the day -

Does that song have a name?

Anonymous May 14, 2008 6:17 PM  

Dang it! We're close on our bandwidth limit so I'll have to watch this tomorrow.

Which player did you go with?

A. Nonny Mouse May 15, 2008 11:36 AM  

BSR: I believe the song is called "Mena Mena" (or at least that's what they call it on YouTube).

LOVE IT! We dance around all the time, putting words to Mena Mena. Usually it's either "Bodega Bay" (a place my parents vacationed) or "Buh-Domino". Yes, we're weird.

Steve May 15, 2008 6:30 PM  

wow youre on a muppets kick today (not that thats bad!)

Anonymous May 15, 2008 11:39 PM  

Strangely, I remember that very episode of Sesame Street. I watched it faithfully with my "baby" who is now 24, or will be in July. Amazing how time has flown!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP