Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's like Little House on the Prairie in here. But, with email.

As previously noted, Bob's mother gave me a knitted dish cloth when I met her at Christmas time.

Robin was quite taken with it, asking if I had thanked her very much, and if I was sure I had told her it was very very pretty.

One thing led to another, and I ended up emailing her to find out some additional details, and Friday after work we walked into town to see about buying some yarn and knitting needles. Except, they don't sell knitting needles in San Rafael and, with my car in the shop, we weren't really in a position to venture into the teeming metropolis of Heredia.

We went ahead and got the yarn anyway, and I came home to see if I could find some knitting needles I was pretty sure I had...somewhere. (It's a small apartment, but it does pack a surprising amount of somewhere.)

I didn't find the needles, but I did come across a crochet hook or two.

Or nineteen.

So, plans were modified and I re-Googled the dishcloth instructions in our new favorite technique.

Julia ended up spending the day with a neighbor on Saturday, so Robin learned first, picking it up so fast she was learning new stitches and simple patterns within the hour. I found instructions for an additional, ultra-simple yarn craft thing I'd heard of but never tried, and ended up teaching that to all three girls on Saturday night (Julia came home with a spare).

Julia got her crochet lesson today, and picked it up quickly as well.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to do. I just wish I liked crocheted things more than I do. (Liking crocheted things made of cheap-ass yarn in the girls' favorite colors is probably asking a bit much.)

3 comments:

Anonymous January 11, 2009 7:37 PM  

I've followed you blog for a while and I was interested to see you mention crochet that was more appealing. My sister is a crochet designer and her stuff is great. You can check out her stuff at www.crochetbyfaye.blogspot.com

Quilting kayaker

splord January 11, 2009 8:36 PM  

Hey, Half-pint! Didja check at Olson's store for some needles? I heard from Mr. Edwards that they just got in a shipment of stuff from Mankato.

Anonymous January 12, 2009 10:32 PM  

How are the hooked rugs coming along, girls?

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP