Monday, January 12, 2009

I write letters

Dear Mr. Sanzio,

I understand that Campbell's is receiving complaints related to its ad in The Advocate, featuring a lesbian couple.

I would like to express my appreciation that you would run such an ad, and my hope that representations of alternative family structures in advertising become more common, entering mainstream publications as well, over time.

I am a single, straight woman, mother to two young daughters, and it is my desire that they come of age in a world that recognizes the full range of human diversity, not just traditionally scripted roles.

Thank you and thanks to Campbell's for taking this step toward an inclusive world.

I live outside the United States, so imported Cambell's products are expensive enough to be considered a luxury item on my budget, but I will be buying some the next time I have the opportunity.

Thank you,
Jennifer Tucker


Thanks to Liss at Shakesville for the heads-up.

Here's the ad in question. It was run in The Advocate - a gay publication. Nevertheless, the company has been deluged with complaints, largely coordinated by the conservative Christian American Family Association.

If you'd like to take a minute to offer some positive feedback, you can contact Anthony Sanzio, Group Director for Corporate/Brand Communications for Campbell's, by email or call 1-800-257-8443.

2 comments:

Anonymous January 12, 2009 6:19 PM  

Kudos sent.

Thanks for the head's up.

The Cunning Runt January 12, 2009 10:57 PM  

Thanks for this, Jen. It's too late tonight, I'm dropping, but I'll be on it tomorrow.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP