Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reasons to like Costa Rica

The mechanic called yesterday at 4:00 to say that the car, which I dropped off at 7:00 a.m., was ready. We were already home for the day so I told him I'll pick it up in the morning.

When I got there this morning at 8:00 a.m., he explained to me that, since he works alone and isn't able to go out shopping for parts in the middle of the day, he went ahead and installed a used starter he had on hand. He said he'd really rather have put in a new part, but that the one he had would work for a good while. He seemed concerned that someone else, down the road, would see the repair and rat him out for putting in a used part.

Hey. It got the car working; that's pretty much what I was after. I understand that the starter was going to need replacing anyway (he showed me the damaged old one), and a car this old and hard-worked isn't exactly going to be lasting me the rest of my days. Used is fine with me.

"Great, so how much do I owe you?"
"Well, let's see. I'll need $30 for the starter, $6 for the fuses, and let's call it $10 for labor. You need a receipt?"

4 comments:

Brave Sir Robin April 17, 2008 11:43 AM  

Wow.
I Paid 400 + to have a 10 dollar part installed a while back.

Steve April 17, 2008 8:26 PM  

that does it my next car repair is being done on the island!

deedee April 18, 2008 1:21 PM  

That is an excellent price and perfect for a used car. I wish I could do my next repair in Costa Rica....

The Cunning Runt April 20, 2008 6:41 AM  

That's pretty likable, alright!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP