Monday, April 28, 2008

For today only: I'm just like everyone else.

Well, it's late and I haven't posted so I think I'll jump on the 123 bandwagon - that's a meme that's been making the rounds.

The rules state:

  1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
  2. Find page 123.
  3. Find the first five sentences.
  4. Post the next three sentences.
  5. Tag five people.
Surprising no one, the nearest book of 123 pages or more is the one I invited everyone to read with me yesterday.

The first three lines after the first five lines on page 123 read:
I hung around asking the technician questions and showing T where the x-rays came out, though machines weren't really her line. She had one of her old wrestling holds on my shoulder.

When we were called back to Dr. Pelinowsky's office again he looked just ever so slightly shaken up.
I've redacted the child's name because her naming is part (albeit a small one) of the story, so telling it ahead of time feels like a spoiler to me. Granted, if you're reading the book and don't want to know the name until it's given, you'll have to avoid the blurb on the back cover. But in any case, you won't hear it from me.

As for the tagging? Nah.

3 comments:

Anonymous April 28, 2008 11:32 PM  

I am sad to think that Joe's Bar is going to close. It was a cool joint to hang out and shoot pool in and listen to jazz and do some kissing. I am going to miss the kissing.

--Lake Wobegon Summer 1956,
Garrison Keillor

Steve April 29, 2008 6:16 PM  

i bought the book today so I am set to read

Anonymous April 30, 2008 7:28 PM  

"No reporters had been let past the front desk of ICU. She overheard one of them complaining about it.
ICU. Lucy was in the ICU?"

Once Upon a Day by Lisa Tucker. (I kid you not.)

That may be cheating. Is "ICU." a sentence? If so, I just quoted four sentences.

I would have chosen the Chris Bohjalian book that I have just read for this exercise, since he is one of my favorite authors. (Along with Barbara Kingsolver, of course.) But I returned that book to the library this afternoon so could not access page 123. I picked this one because of its nearness and its author's name.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP