Sunday, April 22, 2007

One more thing

Before I close up shop for the night:

A nice little Earth Day video for those of you with high-speed connections. It's in Quicktime format and very slow to load, so open the link in a new window or tab and then do something else until you hear the lady start to talk.

On a related note, seismic activity seems to be more frequent around Costa Rica's change of seasons, when all of nature is kind of shifting gears. As a result, it's not uncommon for there to be some kind of tremor or earthquake during Easter Week. Costa Ricans' particular mix of devout Catholicism and folk traditions is an interesting one. Many Costa Ricans (including those I am most intimately related to) will tell you, for instance, that it always rains on Good Friday. I don't know about "always," but it did this year. I have to imagine that the occasional earthquake during Holy Week must really get folks' attention.

But the major earthquake of 1991 did not happen during Holy Week. It came on April 22, perhaps getting folks' attention at an even more appropriate time.

Happy Earth Day everyone. Be good to your planet :)

3 comments:

Robin April 23, 2007 8:40 AM  

Good video clip. I got the point in about 10 seconds, but it kept getting more poignant.

Hold on to that shaky ground and please don't fall in any of those crevices!

Love Bears All Things April 23, 2007 9:17 AM  

Hello Jennifer, Thanks for commenting on my blog. I thought you might have stopped reading it. I have been behind on some of mine, caught up with you today.
Thanks, also, for the compliment, I think. Now I wonder just how old you thought I was and why.
The quilt was done by a long-time quilter and member of my "Homemakers" club in Alabama. I won it in a raffle several years ago. She pieces on the machine. How about you?

Jennifer April 23, 2007 9:55 AM  

Robin:

Well, that was 16 years ago...it's pretty well fixed by now ;)

We do get tremors from time to time, but that quake was the only one that actually did any damage to anything I owned - cupboards came open and dishes fell out.

Other than that, we can feel them, but the worst that happens is another hairline crack in the cement walls of our bathroom!

Bear:

No, I hadn't stopped reading.

You know how, even if you don't know what someone looks like, you just go ahead and picture them as best you can? Well when I saw the haircut photo yesterday, I realized that I was picturing somebody else who I think has a bit in common with you on some issues, but who is an older lady. I didn't realize I was doing it until I saw the photo yesterday, and especially when I clicked to enlarge it.

I piece and quilt exclusively by machine. I don't do much appliqué, but when I do it's usually by hand.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP