Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Didn't see that coming: Navy edition

I have no idea if this is real or not, and I don't care. It's my new favorite thing in all the world:

This is a transcript of a radio conversation between US and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the
South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again,
divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES’ ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT’S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Posted in a comment on this post at Shakesville. The quote that makes up the body of that post is also one of my new favorite things, but in an entirely different way.

5 comments:

Anonymous April 11, 2007 3:48 PM  

I shared a somewhat longer version of this story at a hospice staff meeting a while back, and one of our nurses, who is an Ojibway Indian from Ontario, knows a radio operator who monitored that interchange when it actually happened.

Jennifer April 11, 2007 7:25 PM  

Well, that settles it. Someone I know knows someone who knows someone who can personally attest to it.

This can only mean one thing:

Yes, folks, it's our very own Coasting Richly urban legend!

Anonymous April 12, 2007 4:32 AM  

Well darn. The thing is, I actually thought of checking it out on snopes.com yesterday when I posted my comment, but I decided it was probably too good to be true and I didn't want to know!

But...I wonder what Alie's friend heard??

Anonymous April 12, 2007 7:04 AM  

I did check snopes, but you said you didn't care if it was true or not, and I didn't want to ruin your new favorite thing in all the world.

Anonymous April 18, 2007 6:11 AM  

Go have a look here
http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/commercials/Lighthouse/

A great blog! Thank you!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP