Sunday, April 22, 2007

Achievement

On Friday I got rid of an ant infestation in the dog food, using nothing more than a broom, a plastic bag, and some patience.

I object to bug spray not because of the bug death it engenders (although I'm not too crazy about that either), but because I don't like spraying or spreading poison about the place.

Plus, this was the dog food, so poisoning wouldn't have been an option even if I had spray on hand and were inclined to use it.

Basically, I moved the bag (which was flimsy to begin with and somehow had become perforated with many, many tiny, ant-sized holes) from Point A to Point B. I swept the ants from Point A out the door, then waited 10 seconds or so for good measure, and moved the bag back. Sweep ants from Point B and repeat ad infinitum.

Once I began seeing fewer ants on these repeated passes, I got the plastic bag from the last batch--which had been punctured when taking it out of the trunk and was already doubled up with the plastic bag from the previous batch--and transferred the dog food, a scoop at a time, watching for ants.

I found a few in the bulk of the food and took them out, and found a many in the crumbs at the bottom, and got rid of them too.

I put the double-bagged chow up on a stool and, periodically throughout the day, I swept the stragglers that crept out from under the baseboard on the floor where the food is normally kept. By the end of the day, the ants were gone.

And here it is Sunday and they've stayed gone. I wouldn't have thought it possible.



Ants. Plumbing. Rocks. Turbines, for crying out loud.

Yup, I'm going to lose all my readers.

Tell you what, tomorrow I'll post a cool quilt design I made on my friend's Electric Quilt software, 'kay?

Hello?

...Crickets...

3 comments:

Robin April 23, 2007 8:42 AM  

Might try to keep the dog food bag in a trash can or tupperware container. Hopefully the ants won't be able to break in.

Jennifer April 23, 2007 9:56 AM  

Yes, I've thought of that. Until now, we've had surprisingly few bug problems just setting the bag on the floor in the laundry room and trying to keep the top rolled or scrunched down. But if it happens again, I may end up looking into alternate storage systems!

juliloquy April 23, 2007 10:04 AM  

Well done with the non-poison approach! Ants detest hot pepper, so you could also sprinkle dried cayenne/chilis in a circle around the bag to keep them away. (Although they're quite the engineers and can build a bridge over the pepper powder with loose stones.)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP