Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Culinary conjecture

I trust that I will return from Greece with a heightened appreciation for both olives and sardines; two foods that, I will admit, I have been quite happy to omit from most of my culinary pursuits to date.

Of course, even as I look forward to enjoying these foods when procured fresh and at their source, I must admit that I also foresee an ongoing distaste for the varieties that are available locally, where "locally"="this side of the Atlantic."

Also? Even while reading about the raptures of Greek cuisine, and anticipating my own appreciation of the same, I have to acknowledge that little of what I've seen so far holds any aesthetic appeal whatsoever.

9 comments:

Jennifer April 04, 2007 1:26 AM  

Hope you like lamb. And yogurt. They have delicious yogurt, and they do heavenly things with it, like pour half a liter of honey on top and throw some fresh fruit on along with it. The breakfast of the gods.

Anita April 04, 2007 4:15 AM  

Spanikopita is pretty!

deedee April 04, 2007 5:40 AM  

I do not like their wine, it tastes like they put vine bark in it.

Jennifer April 04, 2007 7:52 AM  

Spanikopita is pretty!

Agreed. I'm just going to point out that bringing up spinach pie as the standard of (visually) attractive food does tell us a little something about this cuisine.

Here's a "Photographic Journey" of Greek dishes. There are five pages and that first one--which includes salad and bread--is the most attractive until you get to the desserts at the end.

I'm just sayin'.

Lainey-Paney April 04, 2007 8:15 AM  

OLIVES ARE AWESOME!
I don't think my mouth has ever met an olive that it didn't like!

Sardines...they just look so nasty that I've never brought myself to try them.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

juliloquy April 04, 2007 8:57 AM  

I could live on the tyro (cheese dip with a little zip), bread, and salad alone. The fish on the islands is excellent (naturally). I agree with Jennifer about the yogurt and Meredith about the wine. We had very nice pastries, too. Mmmmm, baklava. When do you go?

Anita April 04, 2007 9:07 AM  

I'm actually coming back to add that mousakka (sp?), now that is one ugly dish.

Jennifer April 04, 2007 9:18 AM  

She's not kidding, y'all.

Anonymous April 04, 2007 8:15 PM  

it's not Greek food that's the problem. it's those pictures. they totally suck. i'm sure when you get to Greece the food will look a great deal better.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP