Monday, April 23, 2007

Do I owe you a quilt design? Why yes, I believe I do.

A group of quilters from Hawaii are coming to Costa Rica this year, and the cultural center that is hosting them is going to have a quilt show while they're here.

The theme is "Tropical" and the show is apparently going to be titled Two Tropics, One Quilt - this sounds a little better in Spanish, and the idea is that quilting is one common ground for two very different tropical cultures.

I was pleased to be invited to contribute a quilt, and recently had (well, asked for) the opportunity to play with my friend's Electric Quilt, which is quilt design software (What? You're surprised such a thing exists? Never be surprised. Everything exists.)

Here's what I came up with. It's my favorite traditional quilt block, called Kaleidoscope. I envision making the last few blocks in the lower right with actual flower petal shapes rather than triangular patches.

4 comments:

deedee April 24, 2007 10:43 AM  

Quilting is a very special part of the Hawaiin culture, I remember seeing some amazing ones when I was living there.

A. Nonny Mouse April 24, 2007 12:18 PM  

Hey Jennifer, I happen to have a version of Electric Quilt that has never even been out of the box. Do you want it? I am barely sewing, let alone quilting or designing said quilts on the computer prior to sewing.

I have no idea what version it is, but I will check. Email me if you are interested and we can work out some way to get it to you.

Now I must go investigate the strange thumping noises I hear coming from outside.

Kit April 25, 2007 11:32 AM  

I love this design. Kaleidoscope it sure is and it really does have a sense of movement - sea and jungle mingling on the beach. I look forward to seeing the process unfold on your blog.

Lainey-Paney April 25, 2007 2:24 PM  

Wow, that's pretty awesome.

:)

I bet it will be gorgeous!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP