Sunday, April 01, 2007

Got kids? Show them this picture.

I remember when this happened to me, back in the day.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that, at some point, this probably happens to everyone who has long hair as a child. You just can't know until you've tried it how big a mess will result from rolling long hair up on a brush or even (in this case) a comb.

I read a blog post a while back about someone who ended up pulling the individual bristles out of a hairbrush, one by one, with pliers in order to get it out of a child's hair.

A comb is probably the least-worst way to learn this lesson, but even so there was a point last night where I thought that the time might have come to find out how serious she was about wanting to cut her hair short "like yours, Mommy."


4 comments:

Anonymous April 01, 2007 2:02 PM  

OOOHHH! My heart goes out to you, Julia (or is it Robin?) I remember it well and I was about your age too. YIKES! Your head will throb for a while.

Jennifer April 01, 2007 3:30 PM  

It's Robin!

And I don't think there was too much pain involved, probably because it was a comb and not a brush. It was just questionable for a while there whether I would actually be able to work it all free without having to cut anything.

I don't think she'll do it again, and I'd like to think that she won't ever instigate Julia to try it, but I think we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

I did make sure she understood that most of the other adults in her life would have gone for the scissors sooner rather than later, so the outcome could have been very different if it had happened on someone else's watch.

(I took that photo when I was about halfway through the untangling process, by the way.)

Anonymous April 01, 2007 9:43 PM  

Ugh! That brings back some memories. Glad you got it out, poor kid!

Lainey-Paney April 02, 2007 1:02 PM  

Aaaaagh!
Bless your heart!!!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP