Thursday, November 08, 2007

Preppy

Today has been a day of preparations.

For the most part, that has meant grocery shopping with Rita for the quilt retreat that starts tomorrow.

I also dropped off the patterns to be printed at the large-format copy shop. I'll pick them up tomorrow. Tonight I'll make up the schedule booklets and pattern cover sheets and E-mail them to myself so I can print them out tomorrow at an Internet cafe - my printer doesn't do colors at the moment.

After I was back home, the lights went out, so I sat here wondering if I was going to miss posting for the day (unlikely, since the power was sure to come back on eventually) and making plans to take the kids to the restaurant across the street for dinner (they have a generator there). I should have done the dinner thing sooner, since the power came back on after about an hour.

Within 30 seconds of the lights coming on - seriously, I hadn't even turned on a light yet - my dad was calling me on the phone. He had tried to Skype me, but obviously couldn't. I'm awfully glad he didn't call while the lights were out, because he was contacting me to say that Bank of America contacted him all freaked out because I used my credit card today.

I never do that, you see.

I normally use the debit card, but that's expired and I'm not getting the new one until tomorrow. In the meantime, I put the groceries for the retreat on the credit card. So BoA saw three grocery store charges in Central America in the course of two hours and put a hold on the card. I'm just glad they didn't pick up on it before we got everything bought.

Anyway. Got that straightened out.

Jumping back to the afternoon:

Once all the shopping was done I headed up to the girls' school. Thing is, it wasn't time to pick them up yet, but if I went home I'd just have to turn around and came back 20 minutes later.

So, obviously, I went to the thrift store.

Figured I'd look for warm clothes for our Christmas trip to North Carolina. Not that I don't have warm clothes already, but I am aware that when I'm whining about how freezing it is here, the actual temperature is something like 65 degrees.

My camera's already over at Rita's, along with my sewing machine and a bunch of other things, since I won't have the car tomorrow, but I discovered that scanning works really well on T-shirts. Who knew?

So this is the shirt I bought:

6 comments:

splord November 08, 2007 7:46 PM  

The last thing I would expect to see in Costa Rica was an Eskimo.

Hope the retreat goes well.

Jennifer November 08, 2007 8:35 PM  

Well the Costa Rican term for thrift store is actually "Ropa Americana" and anyone who has spent any amount of time in US thrift stores (that would be me) will immediately recognize the selection.

Lots of t-shirts commemorating some random team or town or event or bar or -athon. Lots of eagles & US flags & kittens & embroidered denim. Lots of polyester and velour (a word that Firefox doesn't even recognize) and stretchy fabric.

And enough decent stuff to keep you coming back.

Steve November 08, 2007 8:43 PM  

its 40 degrees here I dont want to hear about it LOL (but best on the retreat and the christmas trip to NC)

Lilymane November 09, 2007 9:44 AM  

Hey - Christmas trip to NC? I'm in NC! We'll be like holiday neighbors or something!! Have fun with the retreaters(=lucky ducks!)
Peace.

Anonymous November 09, 2007 1:07 PM  

I've been meaning to ask if you needed me to pick up warm clothes for them at the thrift store. Forgot you had one there. Duh.

Anonymous November 09, 2007 1:22 PM  

We've got a very few of your (adult) colder weather things here. I'll get 'em out and bring them when we come to Lisa's on 12/15.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP