Sunday, November 18, 2007

Delivery is everything. Or not.

You may have noticed that I like to write all fancy-like for my blog sometimes.

It amuses me to use, correctly, what Pidomon calls five-dollar words when I'm talking about something prosaic like my cat's litter box. That's probably why my blog, like Phydeaux's, is rated at a "Genius" reading level by...well, by someone who in fact lists no credentials whatsoever, but who does know how to set up a website that ostensibly evaluates the reading level of a blog.

Oh! And while we're on the subject, I don't think I've mentioned FreeRice.com. It's a straight-up vocabulary game. See the word, pick the meaning. Get it right and you (again, ostensibly) have just donated ten grains of rice to the hungry through the United Nations World Food Program. (Advertising pays for the rice.) Get it wrong and it drops your level by one and gives you a new word. Get three right in a row and go up a level. According to the FAQ "There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48."

*Cough*Level49*Cough*

But I'm not here to talk about big words. I'm here to say something else entirely, and it is this:

When function is more important than form, I in fact pride myself on being able to write in a simple, straightforward manner, getting straight to the point and paring down the nonessentials to avoid confusion. Like this:

I consider myself an effective communicator.

It has, however, come to my attention that my communication skills are necessarily limited by the reading comprehension of my interlocutors; indeed, by their very willingness to read each of my words, preferably in order.

It's surprising how many people don't seem to do that, even when it is their own time or money that is at stake.

6 comments:

splord November 18, 2007 12:00 PM  

Huh?

Me not unnastand big wordses so good.


Oh. Sorry. Football's on, and my IQ always drops when I'm watching it. Sometimes "talking down" isn't a slam, but a necessary component of successful communication.

Robin November 18, 2007 4:56 PM  

So if we read and comprehend you we are geniuses? Assuming, that is, that we read the words in the order that you write them...but what's the fun in that?

Mine came up at an undergrad reading level: I can live with that. I wonder what pages like the LOLcats would be?

Steve November 18, 2007 6:39 PM  

inyou lost me at "interlutors" LOL

theotherbear November 18, 2007 7:48 PM  

I am only at elementary school level!

Brave Sir Robin November 19, 2007 8:18 AM  

49

I am impressed.

Alas, I am stuck at 43.

:(

Anonymous November 19, 2007 9:14 PM  

As someone who is at times simultaneously wordy, verbose and redundant, I was crushed to get no further than 46 before running out of time -- but believe you me, I have bookmarked that site, missy! Those underdeveloped countries need rice, dammit, and rice they shall have if it kills me! (Ads? they have ads on the site? who knew!)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP