Thursday, October 04, 2007

Somebody cover me, I'm going in

We've talked about separate rooms for the girls for a long time now.

I had Robin start sleeping downstairs in the playroom (where there's already a guest bed) a few weeks ago, to see how it went, both for her and for Julia.

Julia complained a little that she didn't want to be alone, but in fact did just fine, so the intention has been to make the switch permanent by moving Robin's things downstairs and dividing up the playroom toys between the two rooms.

Thing is, there's so much crap down there that I really wanted to do it myself, when neither of them was home, so as to cull out the lone Barbie arms, legs and torsos, broken plastic bits and stray game pieces that no longer have games to go with them.

Not that I haven't done this before. It's just that when I do, I put everything in a box and keep it for a while, in case something important comes up missing. Then, once a couple of weeks have gone by and everything has been cleared for deletion, invariably some other member of the household spies a box of "toys" in the closet and pulls it out as a diversionary tactic, neatly returning us to Square One.

Anyway, I bought some of those great wire cube shelves at PriceSmart so each of the girls will have a nice, new storage system to go along with her freshly organized and pared-down playthings. A single shelf just for puzzles! Each puzzle in a box! Or plastic bag! As the case may be!

I've been putting off doing it because...well, I doubt anyone needs an explanation. But also because there's some furniture that will need moving, and while I could do the little chest of drawers and probably even the beds by myself, there's one item, made of particle board and taller than me, that it would be foolish to try to do unassisted, what with the plate glass window right at the turn in the stairs.

So Alex is home today, and has one of his helper guys here as well. At the moment the helper guy is scraping rust off the front gate, but clearly the time has come.

I'll be sorting puzzle pieces and Barbie shrapnel today. Anybody care to join me?

8 comments:

splord October 04, 2007 10:48 AM  

I hope you're wearing your flak jacket and helmet.


Barbie shrapnel is fierce.

Robin October 04, 2007 11:07 AM  

Put the box of assorted pieces on a tall shelf if you have one!

Good luck with this--these one-day projects always take me much longer than expected.

Anonymous October 04, 2007 1:18 PM  

Mom and I were talking about this just last night, knowing you've had it in mind. Maybe you've been emitting international vibes, even without the benefit of Skype.

Strange as it may seem to some, with my penchant for organizing things, I would really enjoy being there to help, and if it weren't so far (read "expensive") to get there, I'd have already volunteered.

I know that each child having her own room will be a very positive thing for both of them, and, no doubt, for you.

Way to go!!

Jennifer October 04, 2007 1:22 PM  

Plastic.

So. Much. Plastic.

Anonymous October 04, 2007 1:22 PM  

Love to help but I just got done spackling the walls so I can paint this weekend and am now having my first beer!

(could that be a third post:))

Anonymous October 04, 2007 9:42 PM  

Y'know, my "kids" are now 30 and 33, but I suspect we still have just such a box of bits and pieces stashed away somewhere -- probably for them to find and briefly reminisce over before tossing it with the other trash when it's time for them to stash *us* in the old folks' home!

I tell ya, our house? It's a full-fledged archeology project in the making!

Good luck with all the plastic :-)

Kit October 05, 2007 9:41 AM  

I just did that yesterday and I so know what you mean about the box. Mine was just to one side of the play area and youngest has already raided it for more bits to create alternate worlds with. the trouble is I can't quite bring myself to bin the mismatched stuff straight away..just in case.

Anonymous October 06, 2007 10:33 AM  

So. Do we get to see before-and-after (or at least after) photos?

:)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP