Thursday, February 19, 2009

OOOOooooh. Mom jeans. I get it now.

You may recall that my trip to North Carolina included a thrift-store-based initiative to correct my wardrobe which, it turns out, was heavy on the "mom jeans" - I had never heard the phrase before, but if it involves a couple of hours at the thrift store with Lisa and better clothes for work, I'm up for a little intervention. And we did, and I bought new stuff, and that was fun.

So, this morning I discovered something about mom jeans vs not-mom-jeans.

I'm dressed for work in my not-mom-jeans and have my arms raised to brush my hair, and Robin asks, "What happened to you there, Mommy?"

So, I explained to them about stretch marks and how pregnancy makes your body change faster than regular growing, and how the skin can't always keep up. They thought it was cool, and liked seeing which ones were "theirs" (the ones on my hips are from Robin and the ones in the middle from Julia, IIRC).

Raise your hand if you're surprised that one of the things about "mom jeans" is that they hide the fact that you're a mom. I like the low-rise just fine, thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous February 21, 2009 1:32 PM  

"So, I explained to them about stretch marks and how pregnancy makes your body change faster than regular growing, and how the skin can't always keep up. They thought it was cool, and liked seeing which ones were "theirs" (the ones on my hips are from Robin and the ones in the middle from Julia, IIRC)."

It's always so refreshing to hear that some parents actually have real life conversations about real life with their kids.

lisahgolden February 21, 2009 8:40 PM  

I still remember when The Dancer announced that it was time for me to give up the Mom Jeans.

Thank goodness.

The Cunning Runt February 22, 2009 7:09 PM  

Ladies, those are tattoos which you earned, the hard way, and I'm all for wearing them with pride (or rather, in my case, observing them with respect and awe.)

How life-affirming to read that you're stiff-arming the shallow marketing of Perpetual Virginity and embracing the realities of being an adult.

Kudos, Gurrrl.

And Oh... you're looking damned fine as an adult.

;)

The Cunning Runt February 22, 2009 7:10 PM  

...make that plural, wouldja?

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP