Friday, January 22, 2010

The classic "labor saving device" story

I have stuff I could post about tonight - sending 645 faxes at work (really), meeting a very charming (and tiny) little gecko, the video game I've been playing lately. But I didn't feel like writing about any of that, and when I walked into the bedroom the cat was all spread-eagledy on the bed and I took her picture and was going to post that.


Only, when I went to get my camera card reader out of my purse, the camera card was still in it. Meaning that the three or four photos I just took are stored on the camera's internal memory.

The whole reason I have a card reader in the first place is that my camera doesn't play well with others, so when I hook it up to a computer, the computer whistles tunelessly and looks at the ceiling, and never ever acknowledges that anything so lowly as an uncouth little digital camera might be connected to its USB port.

I tried it on Bob's computer but it still didn't work, and I haven't been able to figure out how to transfer the photos from the internal memory onto the memory card, from whence I would be able to retrieve them.

Bob suggested re-installing the camera software on the computer, which is an excellent idea even given that computers used to read the camera without ever having it installed in the first place. Technology being the crafty beast that it is, we figured it was worth a shot, so Bob downloaded the driver.

Or tried to.

It froze up after downloading 55 out of the 42 MB of the file, so he gave up on that and I set out to look for the actual installation CD, which I remembered seeing during the move. Of course, I remembered seeing it in a place other than my One True Drawer of computer stuff and CDs, so I went off seeking that other place amongst the 65 cubic feet of stuff stored in the 50 cubic feet of space under the bed.

I didn't find it.

Although I did find a box of stuff I could probably reduce to a small stack of papers if I decide to get into it tomorrow, and I have a pretty good idea of where the CD may actually be, if only I felt like moving all our tools and spare plastic bags from off the container in which it may or may not be lodged.

So I can't resort to a cute kitty photo for an easy post tonight :(

Now what am I going to write about?

4 comments:

lisa January 23, 2010 8:11 AM  

I'm 99% sure you would have already tried this, but can you just go to My Computer and open the camera/pictures from there? I uninstalled my camera's software because I didn't like it, and now I just open the pictures from My Computer.

Jennifer January 23, 2010 8:14 AM  

Yup, tried that! But thanks :)

The Cunning Runt January 24, 2010 8:59 PM  

I hate it when my 'puterthingies don't work, on accounta I have no tricks up my sleeve.

Hell, I don't even have sleeves!

A. Nonny Mouse January 26, 2010 6:03 PM  

Did the tiny, charming gecko try to sell you car insurance? :)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP