Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's official

One's marital status is a matter of public record in Costa Rica, so I've gotten into the habit of looking mine up every couple of weeks, just to see. We were told back when we processed the divorce that it would take "a while," which I surmised might mean three months or so. When I asked the lawyer, he said it might be around that long, assuming the judge who processed it didn't find anything to object to in our custody arrangement. (Everything was consensual, so it was expected to be approved without further involvement from us.)

Well, that was in November, see, and that's a long time ago. First I thought, well, it was right before Christmas and everything shuts down then. Then I thought it was just taking longer because it's a government process and I've seen my share of government processes here.

It doesn't technically matter either way - it's not delaying anything else, but it's a loose end and beyond just "so it's taking longer than we thought", the only actual reasons I could think of for delay weren't good ones.

Anyway.

I wanted to look up the website for the university seminar I posted about last night, but didn't have the address, and when I started typing a keyword into the address bar of my browser, the electoral tribunal website popped up as one of the auto-complete suggestions because it uses the same combination of letters. (No, I'm not a citizen and can't vote here, but they're the ones who maintain this particular database.)

So I checked again, and there it was. All official and public.

Also? It's dated January 19 - six months and one day before I actually saw it. Can't say I'm surprised, but sheesh. If you're gonna maintain an online database, how about actually maintaining it, ya think?

4 comments:

DNA Jockey July 22, 2009 5:52 AM  

Not to mention that it would be nice if someone informed you!

Jennifer July 22, 2009 6:28 AM  

Yup.

lisahgolden July 22, 2009 6:43 PM  

Wow. So there you are - single(ish). I think you know what I want to say, but won't. Here.

Anonymous July 22, 2009 7:59 PM  

...like maybe your lawyer should have informed you? ....... Is he on sabbatical or something? pfffft.

gk
t.o.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP