Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Or, you know. Not.

It was exciting to hear that NC was actually counting absentee and provisional ballots, and I went into the state board of elections website to see how many of us there actually were. There were 3997 overseas votes, which doesn't sound like that many, and is obviously nowhere near enough to turn the thing. I guess that'll come down to the provisional ballots.

It was cool to see real information and even cooler to find a "check the status of your absentee ballot" link.

Yeah. Shouldn't have clicked that.

The ballot I cast was a Federal Write In something or other. It included (in my case) a change of address and a request for a full state absentee ballot. Right there on the same page, in the same envelope. The ballots were sent to the United States through the embassy and, I believe, put into the US mail.

That was five weeks ago, but my address (which, awesome privacy practices, you guys. All I put in was my first & last name and the county I'm registered in, and BAM, there's my [last known] address. No offense, Jennifer Ann Tucker from my same county. I didn't mean to look up your address on the Internet.)

...Where was I? Oh, right. My address still comes up as the apartment I lived in seven years ago, and the site informs me that no absentee ballot request was received.

You know, I never once, in all these years, really truly believed my ballots were getting there, or being counted. Much less making a difference.

But it sucks to know for sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous November 05, 2008 6:40 PM  

Wow, that sucks. Why don't you contact somebody at the board of elections? Not that they have anything else to do right now, but still. Definitely something to check on before next time.

And by the way, I think addresses and stuff are considered public record. Many (most?) county websites have GIS viewers, where you can type in somebody's name and find out their address, information about their house, when they bought it, what they paid for it, and often pictures of it. You can also search by address and find out the name of whoever lives there. Fun! And maybe a little scary.

Brave Sir Robin November 05, 2008 7:26 PM  

**Tin Foil Hat Warning**

You know, a person living outside the country, just might be inclined to vote a certain way. You know, a way that the cough cough Republican officials might not like.

I'm just sayin' . . .

Yeah, sadly, I have become that cynical.

Anonymous November 06, 2008 9:28 AM  

Dang it, Jen. I'm sorry you learned that. And I'm sorry your votes haven't been counted.

Anonymous November 06, 2008 4:17 PM  

At least you didn't lose the state for Obama. North Carolina was been declared for Obama during the day today. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

(First time since 1976 that the democratic presidential candidate has carried North Carolina.)

The Cunning Runt November 06, 2008 10:01 PM  

It's almost OK, jennifer, because a) you tried, and b) now that you know, you can work on it for President Obama's re-election bid!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP