Monday, December 04, 2006

Only marginally better than no post at all

I feel kind of foolish whining about how cold it is here in the tropics, but you know what? I'm going to do it again.

I have a theory, see, and it goes like this: since this is, normally, a very temperate climate - no extreme highs or lows - we don't build our homes the way one would in a more extreme climate zone. No heating or cooling system of any kind. No insulation anywhere to be found.

So while it may only go down to 50 or 55 degrees Fahrenheit (10-12 Celsius) on the coldest of nights, I can't go turn up the heat in any way other than by putting on another layer of clothing.

Plus, I think there must be such a thing as a psychological wind chill factor. It's supposedly 65 degrees (18 C) in here, which isn't actually all that cold, but it's 57 (14) outside and the howling wind and drafty windows and doors make it feel colder.

In other news, I've been trying hard to replace the I did it! elf on the sidebar with the newer, much more hip button below. But Blogger Beta has failed me and my DSL has been having an identity crisis for two days now (it seems to think it's actually dialup). So, having spent the entire day at the computer writing up instructions for a bunch of patterns that were donated as prizes for tomorrow's guild Christmas party, I don't think there's much left to do about it all but climb into bed and watch Friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous December 05, 2006 6:19 AM  

Sounds like I came home from there just in time. It's 32 F. here now, and the heat is pouring out of the register. (Eat your heart out.)

It used to amuse me that little children there in Costa Rica would be dressed in winter jackets with fur-lined hoods when it got below 65 degrees or so. I guess it's all relative.

When Mom and I spent the night in Paco's cabina up the mountain years ago, it was so cold that we turned on the oven and sat in front of it for a while!Then we gathered all of the bedding from the several beds and piled them onto the bed we used, and burrowed down for a warm night's sleep.

deedee December 05, 2006 9:03 AM  

Your house reminds me of the one we had in Hawaii, no heating, no cooling, just open or shut the windows. We did have an electric waterbed that I could crank the heat on cold wet nights, though.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP