Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hair I've Grown: A Retrospective

[See previous post for why]

The baby book says "Eyes: Blue. Hair: Lots!"


Once walking and talking were under control, we apparently got down to business with The Growing of The Hair:


Now we take an involuntary giant leap, because I don't have access to the scrapbooks from the grade school years. But I do have the one I made of the Middle School trip to France. Other than that, you'll just have to take my word for it that this? Right here? This is me at any given point throughout my school years:


With the notable exception of the Bingo Period:


There were, of course, minor variations - bangs made an appearance, and if I'm not mistaken there was a Curling Iron Phase (not pictured) in conjunction with them:


When my friends and I started planning for Senior Dress Up Day, it was really just a matter of picking a theme. There was no question who would be which character:


Why did I do it? I have no idea. In fact, I had forgotten I even had, but here's the proof. Some time after Senior Dress Up Day, but before graduation and prom, I took the plunge. High school graduation day, 1987 (that's non-alcoholic champaign, by the way):


By the end of Freshman year, I was headed back to normal, despite at least one trim (sitting on the floor of my dorm room, when my sister came to visit):


Sophomore year of college, spent in Kenya:


And, from behind:


Summer break after Sophomore year - unless I'm gravely mistaken, those are the remains of the bangs from the Graduation Haircut:


Christmas break, Senior year, following three semesters in Costa Rica. (Yeah, I'm sure you never made a questionable fashion choice in college):


Just a couple weeks later, minus the braids. Alex (in the green) and I met on this trip to the beach - looks like he's OK with the hair:


And then? It happened again (please to be noticing the tail.) This was after college graduation, probably about 1992 or so:


An inch or so down the road (sans tail - I woke up one night to find the cat methodically chewing it off):


This is the picture Dad sent me - it's the remains of the post-college cut, not the high school graduation one after all. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was about this time that I realized bangs were probably not the way to go, given my haircut maintenance skills:


Sing it with me and The Kinks now:
And then it's back where you started, here we go 'round again ('round again)...:


Another Christmas - I'm thinking this must be 13 years ago:


Our wedding day, 12.5 years ago:

And two hours before Robin was born, which makes this eight years ago:


And I don't think it's been cut since then - possibly not even once, but in truth I have no idea.

So there you have it. Cast your votes, or modify them if anything you've seen here inspires you to do so.

9 comments:

Charlotte December 14, 2006 1:52 AM  

This is about the fourth time I have tried to comment. Let's hope it works. I am committed to this hair issue, which is why I am back!

Thanks for all the lovely pictures. You're right about Alex not minding about your long hair in that beach shot - he looks enraptured with you. My vote, if you feel like a change, is to cut it somewhere between shoulder length and bra strap length. I think without the bangs.

I have also been considering what to do with my hair, and my problem is that I am lazy and not into hair maintenance. Short hair requires a LOT of product and styling not to look middle-aged, and I don't think I could manage that.

deedee December 14, 2006 10:46 AM  

I like the length in the Christmas tree photo, or maybe just a little longer.

Jennifer December 14, 2006 11:52 AM  

Julie says:

Nothing like hair posts to get lots of comments! [Taking notes for future blog ideas . . .]

The photos confirm my belief that shoulder-blade length would be good. I also love the chin-length bob on you.

Ah how I remember the days of flannel shirts and ripped jeans. Maybe I'll do both a "style" post and a "hair" post in the coming year!

Anonymous December 14, 2006 8:02 PM  

Great post! Maybe I should do the same if I seriously consider shaving my head.

I had thought that perhaps a forward-thrust-type bob would be a nice urban-chic twist. Now that I've seen more evidence, I think it might work. I was also going to suggest dreads, and you already did the braids.

BTW I still wear flannels and ripped jeans because I haven't bought new clothes in five years.

Anonymous December 15, 2006 1:54 PM  

Yeah, go with the Christmas Tree one. It seems like I've given you a trim since Robin was born. Certainly we've had a visit where we've talked the talk. Just can't specifically remember following through.

Yeesh! I would complain about your posting my absolute worst studio portrait (wait...the 8th grade picture was maybe worse) but considering what you've posted of yourself, I guess I don't mind. I can't stand my hair in that one. Never liked it. Yick.

Jennifer December 15, 2006 2:30 PM  

So much feedback!

To Man W/Baby: Yeah, I'm thinking, my husband doesn't like plain ol' extra-long, he may not go for dreads. Particularly. The bob, probably.

To Lisa: I definitely consider it a Hair Don't picture, for both of us. And yet, it's the one Dad chose to scan & send me for posting. And he has access to every scrapbook ever made of our entire childhoods. So who knows what lurks in the minds of men.

To anyone who misunderstood me: I was referring to the horrible, horrible braids, not the flannel (not actually flannel, BTW) shirt & ripped jeans, against which I hold no grudges.

Anonymous December 15, 2006 3:09 PM  

Make that "the minds of men AND WOMEN." (Mom was involved.)

I was actually looking for -a dn found - a different one taken at the same time as the fake champagne photo, but the picture was not all that sharp, and Mom suggested the one we chose. Had I known what you were up to, there's LOTS more I could have sent. (Maybe you're glad I didn't!)

Anonymous December 15, 2006 11:00 PM  

I like the shoulder length, no bangs idea. Do they do Locks of Love in Costa Rica? I would like to do that but my hair grows very slowly, I'd never have enough.

Anonymous December 19, 2006 7:10 AM  

Yea I'm late writing and all but never ever cut hair. You know I would never cut my hair!!! But my wife has to cut it every two weeks or so, I don't want it cut, but she makes me. So there.

LET IT GROW SISTER!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day :-).

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP