Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cultural learnings of Costa Rica

You know what Costa Ricans find humorous that I do not?

Songs, shows and comedy skits where adults dress, act, and above all talk like children.

*Shudder*

Julia won a CD at a birthday party about a year ago, and rediscovered it this morning. They're listening to it now. I'm trying to decide which is more grating, the guy singing in a baby voice, or the flat-out preachiness of lyrics like "Your parents are a gift from God, gift from God, gift from God..."

Updated two minutes later to add:

The preachiness. The preachiness is worse.

She won this CD at a children's birthday party at a local nature park. And yet it has a spoken-word bit that says in part, "Children, teenagers and adults are all sinners. And that separates us from God."

In a baby voice.

5 comments:

splord December 11, 2007 11:17 AM  

We want audio!
We want audio!
We want audio!

The Cunning Runt December 11, 2007 4:16 PM  

I'm gettin' interculturally confused. And I'm assuming it's much worse from 2,000 miles closer!

Robin December 11, 2007 7:07 PM  

I'm not sure I want audio!

Didactic entertainment is fine, but I prefer it to be more subtle and more open to interpretation.

Steve December 11, 2007 7:56 PM  

too many big words in the comments for me to comment
We all know parents come from the great ceiling cat dont we?

Brave Sir Robin December 12, 2007 5:28 AM  

OMFFSM!!

Just shoot me.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP