Saturday, October 25, 2008

"Treat yourself like you deserve to be treated," it says. I'm game.

When Sandy was here in July, she brought a special gourmet cake mix because our birthday (hers and mine) had just been and gone, and was to be celebrated.

Except, my oven wasn't working, so we didn't make it.

My oven's working now. And, in fact, I'm currently house sitting for someone who also has a working oven. So I made it.

Turns out, it's not a standard cake mix, but a "hot fudge pudding cake" mix.

I'm okay with that.

The thing goes together differently than a regular cake, though. You mix the contents of the Large Packet with milk and melted butter, spread it in the pan, then sprinkle the contents of the Small Packet on top of that, and pour hot water (I used hot coffee) over it all, don't stir, and stick it in the oven.

The three layers--identifiable batter, followed by a fine powder, and topped with liquid--are each about equally deep and I have to say, my main thought as I put it in the oven was that whoever invented this recipe has a lot of self-confidence. It did not look like something that was ready to be baked.

Interestingly, there's no nutrition information on the packaging, so I guess I'll just have to use my best judgment to determine what is supposed to constitute "one serving."

5 comments:

The Cunning Runt October 25, 2008 11:36 PM  

Sounds like a real leap of faith there, Gurrrl.

So, how did it come out?

Jennifer October 26, 2008 7:07 AM  

Very pudding-y. I had two pieces, just to be sure.

The package says to eat it hot, and I did. But I bet it's also good cold, which I'll find out today. And tomorrow. And Tuesday :)

(Actually, tomorrow and Tuesday I can take it to work and microwave it if it's better hot.)

QuakerDave October 26, 2008 4:13 PM  

Mmmmmmm.....

Cake.

juliloquy October 27, 2008 7:31 AM  

A woman after my own heart -er- stomach. Well done.

Anonymous October 27, 2008 8:09 PM  

It's Monday and I'm just reading this. It sounds delicious...I'm so glad you are enjoying it. Who cares about the nutrition information...it's YOUR birthday cake albeit 4 months later.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP