Friday, October 10, 2008

220, 221 ... whatever it takes

This is the inside of my breaker box:


The stove breaker is the one that's turned off - lower left.

See those two black wires coming out below the breaker? That's what you want to see. The big heavy-duty white one going into the grounding strip at the left is also all hunky-dory.

Take a peek behind my stove's 220 outlet:



That white wire going into one of the hot positions instead of the ground position? A lot less hunky, and not even a little bit dory.

Seems my 220 volt stove wasn't damaged in the move after all. My apartment was wired wrong and the poor thing has been working on 110 volts all this time.

That won't happen again.

10 comments:

splord October 10, 2008 7:03 PM  

That'll do it, all right.

*rolls eyes*

Wiring is not exactly rocket science, either.

Anonymous October 10, 2008 8:24 PM  

Yikes.

Love the Mr. Mom reference!

Anonymous October 11, 2008 4:47 PM  

Yikes.

I hate anything to do with wiring and that. Makes me reeeeeally nervous.

No, I am not handy.

Anonymous October 11, 2008 6:30 PM  

Yup. Dad's there.

Anonymous October 11, 2008 6:53 PM  

Alrighty, Mr. Mom! Now you can make something other than brownies...dad's choice.

Anonymous October 11, 2008 6:56 PM  

Didn't burn much when you were cooking either, did you? LOL

Jennifer October 11, 2008 7:00 PM  

True that.

Oooh! And I have a cake mix in the fridge, don't I?

Anonymous October 11, 2008 9:31 PM  

My first venture into working with 220 (or 221 or, actually, 238 most of the time) but less nerve-wracking than I anticipated. Having the breaker box in plain sight at the site helped. And actually, when the guy at Jennifer's work told us what to look for, it made perfect sense. (Color-coding rules!) But boy, those wires are stiff when you try to scrunch them back into the box!

And oh, so satisfying!

A. Nonny Mouse October 13, 2008 11:29 AM  

The poor stove!

Does it make you want to cook something on it now that it is feeling better?

I'm not sure how you apologize to a stove for not feeding it properly, but I think brownies or a cake for the fixer is definitely in order.

A. Nonny Mouse October 13, 2008 11:33 AM  

PS: Shoot me an email, would ya? My email address should be attached here.

Please and thanks!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP