Tuesday, October 28, 2008

And furthermore

One of the things I was shopping for was breakfast cereal. The various multi-mixed-multiple-muesli-grain cereals are all overpriced and frequently oversweetened, but they're a little luxury I indulge in.

The one I've been buying recently* had a thing where you get a Tai Chi DVD in the box. We ended up with like two each of Levels 1, 2 and 3 of that. Maybe we'll actually watch one someday.

(* It's Kellogg's Komplete. There's another brand called All Inklusive. WTH?)

Another one I like is a German brand that tends to be slightly cheaper than the ones put out by the big US conglomerates, although it's not available in the little corner grocery stores where I often shop.

The grocery store I went to yesterday was larger than the ones I normally frequent, and had a nearly US-sized cereal aisle, so I looked at a couple of additional brands before making my selection. I picked up a box of Nestle Fitness cereal that was on sale and checked the ingredients to make sure it was free of the dreaded aspartame.

You know what is huge business? Marketing products to women because women don't look good enough. I could link every word in this paragraph to a different example. Without trying very hard.

So, this cereal's whole existence revolves around the slogan, "Get it off, keep it off." The back of the box is jam packed with health tips in two languages. You know, things like, "the whole world is a gym" and something about great looking legs. With a close up of the great looking legs, so people (uh, I mean women) whose legs are genetically predisposed to look like that can feel great about their legs (while still buying the cereal to help them out with whatever their problem spots may be, naturally), and the rest of us can buy the cereal thinking that somehow it will change the ... ugh. I didn't really mean to turn this into a rant.

But you either get my drift, or it would take a lot more than I'm prepared to write at the moment (online spades awaits, after all) to convince you.


What I came here to say was, that I don't need that. I'm actually buying this product because I want some calories, some carbs, some protein, some fiber, and a little fat to keep me going till lunch time. I don't need every square inch of its packaging to tell me how much of my day should be spent focusing on how unsatisfactory my body (apparently) is. Actually, I rather like my body.

And with the added issues on my mind yesterday, it was pretty much a no-brainer. Buh-bye Nestle. I bought the German cereal with the multi-racial couple on the package, thankyouverymuch.

4 comments:

Steve October 28, 2008 8:53 PM  

i've seen you live in person and while i could care less about how your body looks speaking as a male of the species i can testify it is not unsatisfactory

juliloquy October 29, 2008 9:37 AM  

Rant away, baby! I couldn't agree more. I joined Facebook a while back. I mostly ignore their sidebar ads, but can't help but notice the plethora of ads telling me about X celebrity's acai berry diet. Makes me wonder what ads male Facebook users are exposed to.

And aspartame - YUCK. Yogurt companies are especially sneaky about putting that in.

My favorite eye-rolling product, however, is "diet water."

Anonymous October 29, 2008 1:26 PM  

There is a constant barrage of how imperfect our bodies are. Some days I'm better at fending it off, other days I succumb to the self-loathing. Those kinds of products don't help.

The Cunning Runt October 29, 2008 4:45 PM  

Gee, that reminds me, I'm all outta Size Zero!

I know what you mean. I can't buy anything and get out of the store without running the Gaunt-let at the check-out counter.

Some of them young stars would be pretty if they ate a damned sandwich!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP