Thursday, November 13, 2008

Shitty thing to do

I made a quilt in July. It came out like this:


I was kind of driven to make it in that way, that design, and it was all symbolic and stuff, of course. That's my wedding ring - recently removed - on the trunk of the tree there.

It was finished just in time and gladly accepted for the show where it was to hang. There were no awards or judging - just a collection of quilts answering the question "Who am I?" in whatever way each artist felt moved to respond.

I got a call from the curator of that show today. They're taking it down and I thought he was going to ask me to pick up my quilt. Well, I can do that too, but he was calling to say that somebody cut the trunk of that tree and stole the ring. And then somehow reassembled the thing which, having made it myself, I don't even know how they would have accomplished that.

What an unutterably shitty thing to do.

10 comments:

NameChanged November 13, 2008 12:43 PM  

I am so sorry. The quilt is beautiful, and I am sorry about the loss of your ring.

F those ring stealers/quilt defilers. :(

Anonymous November 13, 2008 2:24 PM  

I am just sick to hear this. I'm so sorry, Jen.

A. Nonny Mouse November 13, 2008 5:07 PM  

Wow. I am so sorry to hear that.

I hope that the ring BURNS their finger every time they wear it. Or that they suffer painful boils all over their body.

Anonymous November 13, 2008 5:12 PM  

"Shitty" doesn't begin to cover it, no.

The quilt, on the other hand, is amazing.

Jennifer November 13, 2008 5:13 PM  

Well, okay. I do hope their conscience bothers them to the extent they don't do some thing like that again. Or even to where they try to make it up, in some kind of pay it forward sense.

I don't wish them physical pain or suffering, but if the ten or twenty bucks they get for selling the ring happens to fall out of their pocket and get found by a homeless kid or someone who really needs to have something nice happen to them...well, let that be a lesson to the wretched thief.

I do have some pretty good connections.

In fact...Hey, Steve, maybe your mom could look in on what happens with the profits from the misdeed. It might keep her out of peoples' cars, anyway.

The Cunning Runt November 13, 2008 8:33 PM  

Trying to move beyond the disgust I feel thinking about this rotten deed, I'm finding myself trying to imagine the mindset of someone who would go out of their way to see such art, then steal a part of it which so obviously had meaning to the artist.

I'm sorry.

The quilt is still amazing, though.

Steve November 14, 2008 9:25 PM  

what CR sais (CR writes better than me)

Anonymous November 18, 2008 4:42 PM  

Moving along w/ focusing on the positive...

That quilt kinda took my breath away.

Really, I am not being hyperbolic.

It is stunning.

Are you familiar w/ the Celtic Tree of Life? Kind of reminds me of that. It's gorgeous.

deedee November 20, 2008 12:05 PM  

I'm sorry, that sucks.

Gine November 21, 2008 8:32 AM  

What a gorgeous quilt. And my jaw just hit the floor when I read about the theft.

I'm so sorry.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP