Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Bean Trees: Chapters 14 - 17

We're reading The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver.

Click for the posts on Chapter 1, Chapters 2 & 3, Chapters 4 & 5, Chapters 6 & 7, Chapters 8 & 9, Chapters 10 & 11, and Chapters 12 & 13.


I've loved rereading this book but, as usual, I'm not sure what to say about it.

These are the parts that caught my attention in these last four chapters:

But it also occurred to me to wonder why I had come this far. Generally speaking, I am not a fool. I must have wanted something, and wanted it badly, to believe that hard in snipes.


It must have been a very long time since Esperanza and Estevan had been in a place where they looked just like everybody else, including cops. The relief showed in their bodies. I believe they actually grew taller. And Turtle fit right in too; this was her original home. I was the odd woman out.


It occurred to me that nobody else on earth could have understood what Lou Ann had just said.





Let's take a break before moving on to the sequel, Pigs in Heaven. There's a quilt retreat coming up, the girls are on vacation, and Mom will be here for three weeks starting soon. We can either start in August, or read the whole thing during July and talk about it in a few weeks, since I'm not actually contributing that much to the chapter-by-chapter mode anyway.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Steve July 06, 2008 7:22 PM  

it was a very good book
i think what grabbed me most was how Turtle kept trying to bury her doll and Taylor's reaction when she finally understood what was going on

splord July 07, 2008 8:59 PM  

It was a very good book, and I look forward to finding/buying/reading Pigs in Heaven.

The whole resolution of the adoption process and Estevan and Esperanza's relocation... fantastic.

It's always great when a person finds home.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP