Monday, March 16, 2009

In which I pass judgment on a marketing ploy

So I went to buy some beer this weekend, and when the guy took my empties and saw they were Rock Ice, he told me there was a new version out now: Rock Ginseng.

I'm always up for a new kind of beer, so I had him give me two of those.

Then I asked if he's heard anything about it. He said it's "youthful" and "sweet."

I said yeah, two's probably plenty.

Hooo boy.

Two is plenty.

You know how Japanese culture is into cute stuff for grownups, like Hello Kitty and ... well, there's a whole subculture but I don't remember enough about it to Google it and Wiki it and everything, and what are the odds you'd click it if I had?

Well, this beer is exactly like that.

This "youthful" and "sweet" alcoholic beverage tastes exactly like liquid SweeTARTS and that, my friends, is just seven kinds of wrong.

I've still got one, if anybody is so inclined.

6 comments:

Anonymous March 17, 2009 1:18 AM  

Ginseng is all the rage in Korea too.

Although, I haven't seen it slanted as "youthful" or "sweet", but as having many many health benefits.

They sell Korean Red Ginseng tea, beer (haven't tried), and liquor (insam-ju), and as a liquid for cooking, as well as the root and urge you to cook it in your chicken. The liquor they tell me is supposed to be taken daily for chronic pain and chronic fatigue. I haven't tried it yet, I hope it isn't all that liquid sweetTARTS stuff, b/c that is what I hated about RedBull. I'll let you know.

Jennifer March 17, 2009 5:53 AM  

Exactly! I knew all that stuff about ginseng to begin with. And I'm a sucker for Asian anything, so I totally wanted to try it.

Plus, I always subconsciously get ginseng and ginger mixed up, so while I didn't actually know what ginseng tastes like, I was predisposed to think I would like it.

The beer is actually very similar to RedBull, now that you mention it. Awful stuff.

(Now, it's entirely possible that Korean ginseng beer will take itself more seriously than a Costa Rican brewery's attempt at pop culture, so I still hold out hope for you!)

Anonymous March 17, 2009 6:20 AM  

Oh, you are so lucky you didn't google that. You would have been squicked out, like, forever on some of the stuff that showed up.

Seriously, when I need to know something about that Japanese subculture, I ask Ranuel. She knows, in depth and detail, and she'll filter out the crazy, the creepy and the gross for me. She's just awesome like that.

And liquid Sweettarts sounds foul.

Anonymous March 17, 2009 2:48 PM  

I hear you're having some kind of blogiversary or something like that.

HAVE A HAPPY! Thanks for what you do: it's always fun and interesting and SMART here.

Steve March 17, 2009 7:08 PM  

you have and extra? I'll take it!

Jennifer March 17, 2009 7:09 PM  

Come'n get it any time, B :)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP