Thursday, August 17, 2006

All in a day's work

I had my instructions.

Julia wanted the cake to say (in Spanish) "Happy Birthday Julia, have a nice day". She also wanted a picture of me and her, and a heart.

As I mentioned earlier, the oven did a thing and the cake came out lopsided. Really really lopsided. Like any good quilter, I did my best to piece it into a frostable shape by cutting off the highest part and moving it over to the lowest part (which was just half an inch thick. It was really really lopsided.):


I thought this effort had met with moderate success, but when I put the frosting on't I discovered that I still had a surface that not even a kindergartener could love. If only it were Robin's birthday, I could have left the silly thing the way it came out of the oven and made a Sound of Music cake - the hills were ready-made. All I would have had to do was fashion seven curtain-clad Von Trapp children out of frosting.

But it wasn't Robin's cake, so I had to re-level the thing because the peak I had moved into the valley was still way too high. So I cut it off again:

After toying with the idea of scrapping the whole thing, donating the misshapen mass to Robin's class for their snack tomorrow, and starting over, I decided instead to put the writing on the best-looking part and the fancy decoration on the most misshapen part and by golly if it didn't come out just fine:




And most importantly, it's DONE, so I can go to bed early tonight.

1 comments:

Anita August 19, 2006 2:56 PM  

THat is an amazing cake.

Is there anything you can't do?!??!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP