Monday, December 08, 2008

Grandma says hi

Not the one who's still living. (I mean, I'm sure she says "hi" on a regular basis too, but she's not the one I'm presently talking about.)

Grandma Tuck died in 1999, when Robin was just a few weeks old. She (Grandma, not Robin) would have been 99 on her next birthday. When it became clear that she was declining rapidly, I asked Dad to ask her to wait for us so I could take Robin to meet her.

And he did, and she did, and we did, and then she died - I think it was the next day.

Anyway. This isn't actually about her death.

I think she wants to say hi, because the whole time I was cooking dinner this evening, I couldn't get this out of my mind:

I sat next to the Duchess at tea
T'was just as I knew it would be
Her rumblings abdominal
Were simply abominable
And everyone thought it was me

Hi, Grandma!

(And, just to clarify. She's not the Duchess. She's just the one who taught me the limerick.)

6 comments:

The Cunning Runt December 08, 2008 7:51 PM  

It's so nice that she left you with this "gift that keeps on giving," a chuckle to share with your friends!

Steve December 08, 2008 8:16 PM  

hey back at G-Ma!

Anonymous December 08, 2008 8:57 PM  

(Grandma would be proud and pleased!)

Since today seems to be poetry day, these are the ones I remember and love:

In days of old
When knights were bold
And toilets weren't invented,
We left our load
Beside the road
And went home quite contented.
(From Jeanne Noon)

The night was dark
The sky was blue.
Over the hill the shit wagon flew.
It hit a bump,
A scream was heard,
And a man was killed by a flying turd.
(From a nurse at the hospice
in High Point years ago.)

Anonymous December 08, 2008 9:22 PM  

I hope I have grandchildren someday because I'm going to teach them these poems!

juliloquy December 09, 2008 10:09 AM  

This is pretty wild timing. Last week I had a dream that we were dressed up and preparing for Chris's grandma's funeral. She died this past July. In the dream, I went to the upstairs floor of her house (which in reality does not have an upstairs). It was basically a storage space, and there was Nana, alive, behind some chair cushions. She looked healthy, if disoriented, and when I exclaimed at her vivacity, she said "I've been livin' on chocolate!"

When I told Chris about the dream, he said that it must mean Nana's doing all right. Fun.

Anonymous December 09, 2008 4:34 PM  

Yeah, they have a way of doing that, sneaking up on you and dropping little reminders in your head...

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP