Thursday, February 23, 2006

Save yourself some heartache

Here's what I did with the scraps, but before I show it to you, let me give you a piece of advice, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

Never sew velvet.

No, I don't care what your grandmother used to make. Just don't do it. It can be free and right there and the perfect color and a glorious accent, but take it from me and just don't sew the velvet. It's just a teeny, tiny little 15-inch quilt, you say? I repeat:

Don't. Sew. The velvet.

And most especially? Don't bind a quilt with velvet. A quilt with piping. Pieced piping. And slippery slithery shiny floppy unraveling weird stuff. Multiple layers of weird stuff. At the corners. On the afternoon of the day it's due for the quilt show. Seriously, what kind of a simpleton would you have to be?


(All I know is, they'd better put it in the show...)

1 comments:

Anonymous February 27, 2006 9:33 AM  

From the distance of the photo, it looks like a great throw pillow. I like the multi-colored border. And just think what you learned!

I am about to break one of my personal rules: "never applique." I have never done an applique with workmanship that approaches being tolerable.

But the "red hat" quilt top that I "finished" this weekend just doesn't look done. It calls for the applique of some designs that I just happen to have sitting there in my fabric stash . . .

Maybe it's time for me to look for some "how to" on applique rather than use my failed trial and error method. And perhaps actually practicing a bit with some scraps would help.(I do have scraps.) Any words of wisdom on the subject from you?

I picked up a hard-cover children's picture book about quilting "then" and "now" at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. (Also located the Grandma ABC book we talked about, with the Quilting Grandma among the grandmas.) I'll add the books to the growing pile for my July trip.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP