Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ouch

I'm glad my girls were born into a world where they have a realistic chance of pursuing whatever lifestyles, careers and activities they feel drawn to.

Given the culture we live in, however, they are constantly informed that being a girl means makeup, glitter and pink pink pink. They watch absolutely no television at home (we rent videos), but plenty of it at their grandparents' house, and of course even if they didn't, they learn all about Bratz and Barbie and Co. from their friends.

I try to be okay with it, and it's not the only message they get, of course. They know girls can be and do other things.

They know it, but I hope they also feel it.

I guess what I'm saying is, when Julia took a quilt and made it into a cape and decided she was Costa Rica's youngest caped crusader, did her new identity really have to be JuliaMan?

4 comments:

Anonymous August 05, 2007 1:03 PM  

Yes, I must admit the last word had my eyebrows go up.

As you have noticed, colours are not gender neutral. I have had to resort to wearing a bright red large shoulder bag instead of my black backpack in order to not have most employees of retail outlets ask me "Can I help you sir?"

I suppose they assumed I have 'man boobs'. There are times when it's a sad world.

Anonymous August 05, 2007 7:19 PM  

Aslong as Juliaman doesn't try jumping off a roof and flying I think you're doing ok!:)

Mary Alice August 06, 2007 8:52 AM  

I remember walking through a store with my, then six year old, daughter. She stopped cold in front of a rack of frothy bunch of pink Easter dresses, stood staring at them a moment and then asked very loudly, "WHO would wear such a hideous color?"

Today of course, at the age of 15, she has gone through many stages and seems to have integrated femininity with practicality pretty well.

Lainey-Paney August 07, 2007 11:30 AM  

Well...has she been exposed to any of the Female Super Heroes?

I'm not into super heroes much myself...so all I can think of are WonderWoman & CatWoman. And...I can't remember if CatWoman is good or bad...

But Wonder Woman was awesome!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP