Sunday, December 16, 2007

My kind of tree trimming

Check this out.

I didn't have to be in charge of the tree. I didn't have to go get the tree. I didn't have to get out the boxes of lights, test the lights, or hang the lights.

I didn't have to explain to other family members that this was a family activity. One to be savored and enjoyed, dammit.

I didn't have to get out the ornaments, divide the ornaments into child-safe and adult-safe boxes, hang the ornaments, or arbitrate the children's participation in the hanging of the ornaments.

All I had to do was sit on the couch, placate Julia, take pictures, and drink a Foster's. And I still got to pose with an ornament, so as far as posterity is concerned, I totally participated.


Now I'm no Scrooge, but this level of participation in the trimming of the tree? Was like a breath of fresh, pine-scented air.

9 comments:

theotherbear December 16, 2007 5:10 PM  

Fosters???
You must be hard up for a good drop.

splord December 16, 2007 5:38 PM  

Such intense concentration!

"Must. Hang. Ornament!"

No Rock Ice in the house?

Jennifer December 16, 2007 6:07 PM  

I walked over to the store with Scott and after we picked out a couple six-packs of the usual, he wanted something fancy.

Fosters was it ;)

As for the Rock Ice, I have discovered that Miller Genuine Draft is not entirely dissimilar.

Steve December 16, 2007 8:20 PM  

Miller Genuine Draft!

ARGGHHH
LOL

Jeanette Lewis December 17, 2007 12:33 AM  

I know what you mean! Sometimes it's nice to relinquish the title of "memory maker and planner" for a while. It gets so exhausting!

QuakerDave December 17, 2007 2:33 PM  

Gawd. You mention Fosters and Miller in the same comment? Yeesh.

Me, I bring in the tree. I cut off the low-hanging branches. I put it in the stand. I tighten the screw-in thingies. Then I watch as the rest of the gang does the rest of the work.

I'm the lumberjack, and that's okay.

A. Nonny Mouse December 17, 2007 4:13 PM  

My mother-in-law used to have a traditional family gathering to decorate the Christmas tree and that was my level of participation, though the drink in my hand was usually a soda of some kind of soda.

I do not enjoy Christmas Tree decorating and ours came perilously close to being ornament-less this year.

Have a good visit!

The Cunning Runt December 17, 2007 11:09 PM  

Geez, I guess it's time to go get a tree!

juliloquy December 19, 2007 11:03 AM  

Fancy beer? Like Chelada? (With real Clamato!)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP