Thursday, March 15, 2007

Let me clarify that

Psst! Readers! When I reference a debate over the funniness of a joke, that's your cue to indicate whether or not you find it funny and, if at all possible, offer a joke of your own.

This "0 Comments" business may be partially my fault, since I linked to but did not copy out the two jokes in question, and I can see in my stats that not many people clicked through. Let me rectify that.

The muffin joke goes like this:

So there are these two muffins baking in an oven. One of them yells, “Wow, it’s hot in here!”

And the other muffin replies: “Holy cow! A talking muffin!”
Based on the many comments I've read (on other blogs) over the past two days, I am squarely in the minority in finding this joke unfunny. So you either get to agree with me--always polite on someone else's blog--or find yourself in the majority and have your sense of humor affirmed--also pleasant.

See? It's win/win.

The comment threads on both the original Great Muffin Debate post, and the one I referenced yesterday at Shakespeare's Sister each contain what, to my mind, are much funnier jokes. (Remember the caveat and exercise caution if you click over to Shakes' thread.)

My favorite so far:
A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette, looking very satisfied. The egg, in a pissed off tone, says, "Well, I guess we answered that question."
I might not tell that joke to just anyone, which is why I chose yesterday to link to it rather than copy it over here, but when I first read it it made me laugh out loud. A couple of the other ones did too, but when I say "out loud" in this case, I mean I scared the parrot sitting next to me so badly she flew across the room and landed on the window, which doesn't have a sill so she was left dangling by her beak and had to be rescued.

13 comments:

A. Nonny Mouse March 15, 2007 3:50 PM  

I am with you in finding the muffin joke unfunny. It just doesn't do anything for me.

However, I LOVE the chicken/egg joke. That's too funny! I laughed out loud, too, and put myself into a coughing fit.

Sorry for not commenting yesterday. I did click through to the Shakespeare's Sister site, but saw that there were 100 comments and decided not to go through them.

Anonymous March 15, 2007 8:03 PM  

poor parrot.

but that WAS funny. :)

Jennifer March 15, 2007 8:51 PM  

Oh, she was fine! Didn't bruise anything but her dignity :)

Jennifer March 16, 2007 4:01 AM  

I clicked through the link, which is why I didn't leave a comment here yesterday. Sorry!

I think both of the jokes are funny. The muffin joke had me laugh out loud and so did the chicken and the egg joke. I didn't get through all the comments you linked to, but the one joke that made me laugh the loudest and the hardest and the longest went something like this:

Two musicians walk past a bar.

hahahah. I'm still laughing. Not that I have anything against musicians. It's just that this is exactly my kind of joke.

Jennifer March 16, 2007 4:03 AM  

Wait. There's more.

I did not like the watering hole joke. At all.

Jennifer March 16, 2007 4:06 AM  

(Still here)

A few months ago there was a big hurrah about the "Funniest joke in the world". I went back and found it on CNN.com.

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy takes out his phone and calls the emergency services.

He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gunshot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?"

Now that, to me, is funny. Please don't tell you didn't laugh out loud.

Lainey-Paney March 16, 2007 8:55 AM  

muffin joke...not funny.
chicken joke...funny.

Jokes...I don't know any jokes to share!
I'm not funny.
:(

Anonymous March 16, 2007 9:21 AM  

I'm easy. I love to laugh and will laugh at just about anything. Now coming up with a good joke? Not one of my skills. :)

Robin March 16, 2007 1:38 PM  

I read a variant on the muffin joke in an old Bloom County cartoon earlier today in which a character rejected several realities and then the possibility of a talking penguin, even though she was talking to Opus. In context it was funnier to me than the shorter version of the muffin joke. Which I could find a link to it since I've just butchered it.

I've always loved the chicken joke. The watering hole, not so funny. The hunter joke above, very funny.

J March 16, 2007 9:30 PM  

What's green and has four legs and if it fell out of a tree it could kill you?


--

A pool table.

Anonymous March 17, 2007 7:24 AM  

Okay, now for some scientific (?) analysis of jokes. This was in our paper this morning (The Daily Reflector, Greenville, NC.)

http://www.reflector.com/search/content/news/stories/2007/03/17/Rutledge_column.html

To me, the muffin joke sounds like something designed to make you think you SHOULD laugh even if there's nothing to laugh about.

And I have to admit that it took me a while to GET the chicken & egg joke (at which I laughed when I finally got it) I did crack up completely (and have several times since) at the one just below it when I followed your link. (The Do you smoke...?" one.)

Anonymous March 17, 2007 7:32 AM  

Hmmm. The link to the article doesn't seem to work. Your many readers can access it by going to:

www.reflector.com
Then at the top of the page search on "Rutledge".
Then scroll down and select the link which begins, "Corny jokes, kids go together..." (03.17.2007 column.)

(He starts out with the muffin "joke" which seems to be making the rounds these days.)

Enjoy!

Anonymous March 17, 2007 11:19 AM  

I found the chicken joke the funniest and laughed immediately.

But would you believe I had to explain it to your father? Thus his "it took me a while to GET the chicken and egg joke." Now THAT surprises me, because his delight in sexual jokes and innuendos exceeds mine.

You never know.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP