Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Yesterday's Outing

A group of quilters from Iowa is visiting our guild at the moment, and yesterday we all went on an outing, including a visit to a farm that grows ferns for export - these are the ones they put behind the carnations and roses in your $20 flower arrangement from FTD:

The ferns are grown under these black net structures. The rest of the property is given over to a nature reserve, which we visited as well.




Then we went down to the city of Cartago to visit the Basilica (see here for another post and more photos of these places.)



Floor tiles:



Then we went to Orosi, which is a scenic valley not far from Cartago. When Dad and I went there last year, we didn't know about the scenic overlook maintained kind of like a public park by the National Institute of Tourism. The entrance is right on the main road, but easy to miss. I think it's safe to say we'll make an effort not to miss it on any future trips in this direction.






And one last picture, taken from the bus on the way back to San José. Costa Rican cemeteries are one of those things I've never gotten used to here. They are almost always above ground, presumably due to geographic and meteorological concerns, but it's the white tile that gets me. Going on 20 years later, I still can't see these without thinking they belong in a bathroom.

3 comments:

Anonymous March 21, 2007 6:11 PM  

Boy, does that post bring back memories of a great, fun day!!

Every time I've flown into Costa Rica (well, in the daytime, that is) I've noticed black netting which I thought was plastic) on the left side as the plane lands at the airport. I've wondered what they were covering. I think on the most recent trip someone told me "flowers" and now I'm suspecting that they might even be ferns. Even though the black netting in your photo doesn't appear to be anywhere near the airport. Possible?

Jennifer March 21, 2007 6:27 PM  

Oh, sure. Probably not this particular netting, but there are similar setups in other parts of the country (on the slopes of Poas, for one) - wherever the elevation creates the right climate for this particular crop.

Anonymous March 22, 2007 10:07 AM  

Oh, so beautiful! I want to come! Oh, wait, I am...in 08! :-)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP