Saturday, March 10, 2007

Finslippy is the boss of me

When Alice says "s'mores," I ask, "How many?"

(I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're not a Costa Rican, you probably won't find Costa Rican marshmallows very satisfying. Never having made s'mores in the microwave before, I'm prepared to blame the texture issues, at least in part, on the method. And I can get past the pastel colors. But the fruit flavors...not so much. Of course, they are much cheaper than the imported ones. Anyway, caveat emptor and all that.)










So anyway, I had all this trouble thinking of anything to say on the blog this week, and come to find out it wasn't me at all. I was just ahead of the curve in celebrating "Close Up Your Blog and Sit Around Eating S'mores Week." (Worldwide observance scheduled to begin in 2008.)

8 comments:

Jeanette Lewis March 10, 2007 5:39 PM  

Mmmmm, s'mores! We usually make them in the microwave with Nutella, though sometimes we'll roast the marshmallows over the stove burner. I don't know about the whole fruit-flavored marshmallow/s'more thing though...strange.

Anonymous March 11, 2007 6:11 AM  

See, and now I've saved your kids tons of money they might have spent in therapy. Is there anything I CAN'T do?

Jennifer March 11, 2007 7:53 AM  

Why no, I don't believe there is.

Love Bears All Things March 11, 2007 5:33 PM  

Thanks for the comments on my post. I would sure love a s'mores. I don't like the American pastel marshmallows either. What are those round graham wafers?

Jennifer March 11, 2007 8:12 PM  

They're the closest local equivalent to a graham cracker. You'd never mistake them for one, but they're a pretty reasonable substitute.

I actually can get regular marshmallows here - Kraft or Jet Puft or something - they're just a little more expensive, and not necessary for our s'more purposes. (My girls are Costa Rican enough to go for the local variety anyway.)

But graham crackers are one of the few US products I haven't really seen in Costa Rica, so we just go with MarĂ­a cookies, which is what those are.

(And as long as we're discussing ingredients, the chocolate is Milka; not the best chocolate I've had, but a good size for the s'mores and pretty cheap here.)

juliloquy March 12, 2007 11:00 AM  

Now I know what to bring with us when we move in with-I mean-visit you in Costa Rica!

Jennifer March 12, 2007 11:07 AM  

Chocolate! You meant chocolate, right? No? What do you mean, graham crackers? Who cares about graham crackers when there's chocolate to be discussed??

(PS: Julie's my kind of girl. Did you all see that? She said "when." I like it when people say "when.")

Lainey-Paney March 16, 2007 9:06 AM  

Mmmmm...smores.
Gosh, I haven't had those in years!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP