Monday, February 18, 2008

High School Me

Looking for something else, today I came across a bag containing all the buttons I used to wear on my denim jacket in high school.

  • A Commander Salamander pin (Freebie from a punk sort of store in Washington DC that became something of a Thing among certain groups in my high school. Much-prized items were brought back from Model UN and other DC field trips. [Ask my about my red silk salamander tie...])
  • Another Straight for Gay Rights
  • Practice Nonviolence
  • Hard Rock Café (Freebie pin)
  • Question Authority
  • A flag of Japan
  • No more Hibakusha (what that means)
  • Love animals don't eat them (Picture of Winnie the Pooh)
  • Four little buttons of the Wandering Fool (The symbol of my college. That's right. The Wandering Fool was the symbol of my college)
  • A rainbow-striped pig (Always got the most attention of all my buttons)
  • A little map of the world
  • Military Intelligence Is A Contradiction In Terms
  • Snoopy yawning with Woodstock on his head
  • Extinct: Too much armour not enough brains (Picture of a dinosaur)
  • Hard Rock Café again (classy purchased version)
  • Nuclear Moratorium
  • Snoopy Has Fleas
  • Nuclear-Free Zone

The bag also contained (not from high school) two diaper clips - for securing cloth diapers without pins - and a bullet I found on the ground in either El Salvador or Nicaragua.

8 comments:

Steve February 18, 2008 9:48 PM  

With that much bling have you ever considered a career it TGI Fridays?
(bling is the wrong word but I dont remember the exact quote from Office Space)

Anonymous February 19, 2008 8:29 AM  

Wow. Talk about a treasure trove!

Brave Sir Robin February 19, 2008 8:49 AM  

Pictures!!!
Pictures!!!

Anonymous February 19, 2008 10:57 AM  

I'm really surprised at how few of those I remember. Were they more college than high school? Love animals don't eat them reminds me of a story! That you probably don't remember. We were eating at an Italian restaurant with the family. I'm thinking post college, but back on visits. I can't place the time exactly, but I was being a vegetarian, and I was finally ready to bond with you over it. (When you came home from college a vegetarian, I was a little weirded out by it.) So anyway, I started a conversation about not wanting to eat animals, and I hadn't realized, but you were over it. You're all nonchalant, like, It doesn't bother me, it's just the food chain. I think I pouted. Okay, I know I pouted. :)

I wonder where my buttons are....

Friðvin February 19, 2008 12:09 PM  

pidomon, it's "flair" and the funny thing is I was talking about doing a blog post about my flair earlier this morning.

I still have quite a few of mine from the punk days.

Robin February 19, 2008 1:08 PM  

I have mine from earlier days too, some political, some not. It'd be a long list, as I was quite the "flair" collector for a few years. Someday when I don't know what to blog, I may post a few of my favorites.

Friðvin February 19, 2008 3:34 PM  

I posted about my flair with a link back here. :-)

The Cunning Runt February 20, 2008 7:59 PM  

You were the kind of kid I liked a lot, albeit before you were a kid.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP