Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The nicest thing

Last night was the inauguration of a quilt show at the Costa Rican / North American Cultural Center, which we all attended after the outing (see previous post).

At the inauguration, I ran into someone from the US Embassy, who knew me from a situation that came up last year, when I had the opportunity to provide some help to someone in a difficult situation.

I was a little surprised to see her, but truly amazed that she recognized me from the back, at night, driving a car she'd never seen before.

Once inside, I saw another person from the Embassy, who also greeted me warmly and stopped to talk. He is one of the more interesting people I know, has a firsthand understanding of both the good and the bad that people are capable of, and is someone whose opinion I value.

I mentioned that S. had recognized me after just a fleeting glimpse, and he said he had seen me from the back a few minutes ago, but that I had been in conversation and he hadn't wanted to interrupt. I said, again, that it seemed surprising that either of them would recognize me so quickly in such a completely different context, and with 22 inches less hair than the last time we saw one another.

"No," he said, "It's not surprising. I'd recognize you anywhere. You have an aura."

That remark, coming from that individual, was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.

7 comments:

Anonymous March 21, 2007 4:40 PM  

Wow! That's my girl! And I agree completely.

Anonymous March 21, 2007 6:10 PM  

someone from the U.S. embassy recognized you from the back while you were driving a car that the person supposedly never saw before? must have known your license plate. they are keeping their eyes on you? or did that sentence not come out the way you intended?

Jennifer March 21, 2007 6:24 PM  

Well, I guess when you put it that way it does sound misleading.

I was turning the car around in a tight dead end and she was right behind me, needing to turn her own car around. There were street lights and she may have seen me from the side, more than the back.

By the time I saw her (as opposed to just her car), she was waving hello.

I'm not denying that embassies are fully capable of keeping tabs on people, but that's not what I meant to imply in this case.

juliloquy March 22, 2007 9:31 AM  

That is an awesome compliment. I wonder what color your aura is. When I was sleep-deprived in my son's early days, I had a vision of his aura, which was a blend of light blues, pinks, and yellows. HPR then told me that someone once told him his (HPR's) aura was blue and pink, so the yellow in Shmoo must be from me. Wacky!

Jennifer March 22, 2007 12:17 PM  

Wow. That is a nice compliment. He must think as highly of you as you do of him.

Love Bears All Things March 22, 2007 5:43 PM  

Everyone has one but not all of us can see them. It was a nice compliment.

deedee March 23, 2007 1:24 PM  

I believe in that kind of thing, and yes, I was serious about the chocolate. Unless Costa Rica has the same weird rules as the USA.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP