Saturday, June 02, 2007

A little too tired to be clever

But wanted to post anyway...

Thursday's travel went very well; everything came & went on time and all the other things you hope for with an international flight came together.

We got my international driver's license on Friday, along with some general shopping I needed to do. Dad and I went to yard sales this morning, and pretty much made up for the past two years in Costa Rica, where they don't have yard sales. We went to a few individual sales here and there, and then found two different neighborhood yard sales. We spent over four hours and figure we must have gone to nearly 40 sales all together. I spent a total of about $25, coming home with two outfits for myself, six or eight items of clothing for the girls, a big sheer window treatment thing to take home, the first two Harry Potter books, two story books, and eleven puzzles.

The reason I'm tired is that I've been working toward the Greek time zone by getting up earlier and earlier, but have been less successful at going to bed any earlier... The last week or so in Costa Rica I was getting up at 5:00 or 5:30, which isn't really that much earlier than usual, but I went ahead and got up at 4:00 on the day I left to come here. Of course, North Carolina is already two time zones closer to Europe, so as soon as I got here I found myself back on a regular 6:00 a.m. schedule. But it's also two hours closer to the goal zone, so I guess it's progress.

This morning I got up at 5:00, which is 3:00 a.m. in Costa Rica and noon in Greece. I'm feeling tired, but keeping active and having enough fun that I don't mind. And I'd much rather get through some of the adjustment here so that we're not too wiped out to do some sightseeing our first day in Athens. Also, I feel like "sleeping till noon" by getting up at 5:00 a.m. is actually finally in the ballpark of reasonable - in Costa Rica I would get up and it would already be the end of the business day in Greece!

I'm going to try to add another hour on each of the next two mornings, so by Monday (which is when we leave) I'll be getting up at 3:00, which is 10:00 a.m. in Greece. Also, this should assure that we're tired enough to sleep on the flight (which leaves at 4:30 in the afternoon). If we can get a decent amount of sleep then, we should be in good shape to stay awake on our 6-hour layover in Frankfurt, and settle farily quickly into the real day & night times once we get to Athens on Tuesday evening.

2 comments:

Charlotte June 03, 2007 12:44 AM  

I've never heard of anyone preparing for jet lag this way. Are your co-travellers also getting up early too? Wishing you a wonderful holiday in Greece and a delightful layover in sunny Germany. While you're in the airport be sure to have a Bretzel - it's the local speciality.

Anonymous June 03, 2007 2:27 PM  

Jen, I called to wish you a Bon Voyage but you were out walking with Mom. Have a wonderful trip...wish I could have seen you. Tell your mom that ironically, we are in Tonawanda! Nice place. Would love to explore it with her. Be safe and happy!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP