Saturday, September 05, 2009

I want a do-over

So we had a massive lightning strike in the neighborhood and of course the power went out. The two computers downstairs just shut off, because they have surge protection but no power backup.


My computer didn't shut off, but my UPS only offers about a minute of power; just enough to save and quit and shut down, which I did.

Guess which one got fried?

Seems my computer no longer feels that it has a hard drive. Best we can figure, it was probably the cable itself. The Internet comes in by cable, and it goes through a modem and a router before it gets to the computer. But before any of that, there's a splitter to divide off the cable TV part of the cable. And that goes directly into the analog capture card so we can watch TV on the computer. Which I've done maybe six times, ever.

I don't rely on stuff on the hard drive on a day-to-day basis, but I had years' worth of old photos and documents on there. I know who to ask locally if they can salvage any of it, and of course we've got the new computer down here, but come on.

I guess it has been over two weeks since I had to spend any money on the car...

2 comments:

kkryno September 05, 2009 11:05 PM  

Oh no! I hope that you can find some local wiz-kid. Good luck!

The Cunning Runt September 08, 2009 8:19 PM  

Sorry for your loss, Jennifer. I absolutely hate it when my 'puterbox gets sick or injured!

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP