Sunday, September 06, 2009

Got one

Well, not a do-over, exactly, but the damage has been contained.


The drive is probably toast, but Bob's brother had made him a bootable Linux CD that saved the day. You can boot from the disc on any computer and try out the operating system without installing anything at all.

My HD-less computer was looking for things to boot from, so I fed it the disc, which booted up fine.

I didn't know when I tried it whether A) The hard drive would be accessible at all, and B) Linux would be able to see files on a Windows-formatted drive, but the answer to both questions turned out to be a very happy Yes.

And Bob has a 16-GB memory stick, and it only took two trips up and down with that, and now all my files are safe on a combination of these two computers - turns out this new one only has a wee little hard drive, so all my stuff wouldn't even fit on it.

So now I need to acquire a new hard drive - we've already discovered that I can get about twice the Gigs for about half the price if I bring one in from the States (assuming the bringing itself doesn't get too costly), but I can also get one here if I get too impatient.

So: Long day, happy ending.

2 comments:

Dad September 07, 2009 7:19 AM  

Hmmmm. Shall I put it on the list for my next trip? (You might have a long wait.)

I'm SO GLAD that you were able to recover your stuff. When we were in High Point I had a hard drive crash and lost everything. A year or two ago I bought an external hard drive and I mean to back up my documents and photos and e-mails and Quicken every month. But I don't always get around to it.

Today that hard drive is sitting nearby and will be pressed into service shortly. (Thanks for the unwitting prodding...)

But...if the hard drive has been obliterated, how can data be recovered from it? Or did the lightning do some selective damage, i.e. mess up the operating system but not the files???

Steve September 07, 2009 4:17 PM  

glad the ending was happy

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP