Saturday, September 03, 2005

They've got to be kidding (Now with pictures!)

I suppose I'm probably the last one on my block to be convinced. It's one of those things. Someone you trust can swear it's true. They've seen it with their own eyes and anyway doesn't everybody already know it's true? But you remain unconvinced. It just doesn't sound right. Maybe they're exaggerating - it wouldn't be the first time.

Well now I know. It's true. Mating dogs really can get stuck. Stuck, like they're done and they're both ready to go their separate ways, but...they can't. They literally can't. They just have to stand there at a 140-degree angle and wait it out.

Now why would this even be possible, much less true? What natural purpose could it possibly serve? I would think the potential for frustration, impatience and, ultimately, catastrophic damage would be much greater than the reproductive benefits of inseparable genitals.

UPDATE:

I should have known it wouldn't happen just once.

Everyone be extra nice to Alex, who for some reason had a pack of AA batteries in the car, without which this oh, so tasteful photo essay would not have been possible.

So here's the...well, the beast with two fronts, I guess you'd call it.



Which of course was followed by:



Which in turn was followed, inevitably, by:



Tune in Monday for a very special Coasting Richly as young Emily comes to terms with the surgery brought on by her burgeoning womanhood...

8 comments:

Anonymous September 03, 2005 10:40 AM  

Oh, you exaggerate. STUCK, stuck? Nah. I'm not convinced.

(really?)

That is to say...

What, no pictures??

Jennifer September 03, 2005 11:04 AM  

Totally STUCK, stuck. Scruffy went to walk away and Emily was pulled along with.

I'm SO sorry about no pictures. They were unstuck (and none the worse for wear) by the time I thought of it and got the camera out.

But it's real. You can google "dog stuck mating" for a variety of questions & answers on the issue, from the scientific to the, er, less scientific.

Here's a picture of someone else's dogs

And here's a breeder's site that refers to it.

Anonymous September 03, 2005 12:58 PM  

Lisa should have ask me. I've seen it. It's not right, I mean it shouldn't happen.

Jennifer September 03, 2005 1:13 PM  

Yep, it'll put you right off procreation if you think too much about it.

(BTW...I've always wondered and now I know: How far do you have to go to get a comment out of Scott? Dog sex and no farther. I'm just saying.)

Anonymous September 04, 2005 9:24 AM  

Even Grandma got up off the couch to take a peek! The whole family was huddled around the computer screen.

So they're not the siblings are they? The look awfully alike.

And how did the explanation to the kiddies go? Or were they away?

Anonymous September 04, 2005 9:26 AM  

Dad just ran into the room yelling "not the whole family! What did I miss?"

And then, on picture #3: "What is it, killing a chicken?

Jennifer September 04, 2005 3:53 PM  

Siblings? Oh, yes, absolutely. And not just any siblings. They're actually from the same litter.

No explanations have been necessary to the girls. I talked a lot about it online, and a little on the phone, and maybe some in person to some neighbors. But Robin, as usuall, spent the weekend at Yolanda's and the actual shenanigans don't attract that much attention - there's an initial yelp and then they just stand there, resigned.

A chicken? Please. That was Yolanda's dog and Yolanda's chicken, a lifetime ago (for the chicken in particular.) Four dogs, a geriatric cat and a lovelorn parrot are quite enough for me.

Anonymous September 05, 2005 10:52 AM  

When I "ran into the room asking 'What did I miss?'" I did not have the luxury of knowing what the subject was. All I saw was picture number 3.

I ask you. Look at it as if for the first time, with new eyes. Does it not look like two dogs going over a freshly killed (by them) chicken??????????????

Dad :)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP