Saturday, April 01, 2000

Dead computer, sick baby, translation pending

The big computer is completely dead. It's at Informatica, has been for nearly two weeks, but since it's a charity case (I hope it is anyway), Javier hasn't had time to even look at it. I did some testing and trying things out myself, but it just got worse and worse. Now it doesn't even send any information to the monitor when turned on.

We sent the social security stuff and Alex's hardlock out by Interlink two weeks ago next Tuesday. (The hardlock is going straight to TDS). We didn't send them by any kind of priority, and I think in the past I had discoveredthat things sent through them pile up till they have a planeful (or whatever) and then they send it all out. Robin's Consular Report of Birth Abroad can not be reissued if lost, and I've already had to show it for several different things - I'm not sure what we'd do if something happened to it.

Robin has been sick - some kind of stomach virus. She had a fever last Saturday, was feeling okay but didn't eat anything at all on Sunday, and on Monday was feverish and completely lethargic, just lying still in whateverposition she slumped into. She threw up once in the morning and once at the doctor's office. The next day she had diarrhea but was feeling better. She also had weird red blotches that came and went from her face during the day on Tuesday. She was drinking liquids, but didn't eat any food until Wednesday.

She has felt better each day, and yesterday we sent her to Yolanda's house again for the first time. She seems fine now, and is eating again, but just bland, mushy stuff. We ended up leaving her there overnight, and Yolanda said she threw up last night, but I know they took her to a birthday party across the street, and I assume someone slipped her some rice & chicken or something else she wasn't up to.

I am working on a 50-page guidebook to the orchids, cacti & bromeliads in the Nicoya area. Fortunately, I had three weeks in which to do it, so I was able to abandon it while Robin was sick.

Now I'm trying to get back to it,but it is proving to be quite a challenge with just one computer. Alex is planning to go to a friend's house and use the computer there today, and I hope to get some good work done here at home.

Yesterday someone came by to look at the pool table and made a reasonable offer. We haven't let him know yet. We were hoping to get 250,000 colones for it, and that's what he offered, but it's a situation where he was told 300,000 so the guy who made the contact could make a 50,000 commission. If we accept the offer, it will mean a much lower actual price for us once we pay the guy his commission and also a finder's fee to Jose, who made contact with the guy who contacted the guy who made the offer (got that?). So we'll let him know tonight.

Robin says "Carla" to call the girl who lives across the street from Yolanda and plays with Robin when she's there. She also calls "Ana" to our next-door neighbor. She still says doggie and agua, and yesterday morning after she got up, she came to me, patted her diaper and said "agua". She likes to pat me and say "mama" or "mommy". She also says "otro" when she wants more of something. Or rather, she nods her head and grunts when she wants more, and if we ask her if she wants "otro" she'll nod again and say "oto". Very cute.Okay, I really have to get to work on the document.


Lisa June 16, 2005 12:42 PM  

It's me again. Experimenting.

I wonder what this does.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by 2008

Back to TOP