Saturday, November 10, 2007

Preblogging for Saturday

So I'm writing this yesterday, but it will (hopefully) post today,

through the magic of technology and family connections. Does that count?

Let's hope so.

The ladies presumably arrived last night around 9:30 p.m. It'll likely

have been closer to 10:30 by the time they go through customs,

immigration and baggage claim. Not, of course, in that order. Hopefully

we will have gotten them to Rita's by 11:00 p.m. or so, which was (would

have been? will have been? Boy, preblogging is hell on conjugation)

midnight by their clocks.

Today, therefore, is a nice easy day. Breakfast whenever they're ready,

then I'll introduce them to the project, show them some examples, and

explain the technique. They'll work on their first blocks during the

morning, then after lunch Rita will take them, two by two, for a

pedicure at a nearby salon, while the remaining two continue putting

together their quilt blocks.

They may or may not finish the whole first block today, but they should

be pretty comfortable with the technique at least.

We take them out to dinner at a nearby restaurant for some typical Costa

Rican food and ambiance. They'll try chorreadas, which are a sweetened

corn pancake (and also, interestingly, one of the most frequent search

words that lead people to this blog. Everybody wants a recipe, but

unfortunately I don't have one), and handmade tortillas, rice, beans,

plantains, chicken, beef and pork.

I'm guessing we'll all head to bed pretty early tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous November 10, 2007 7:30 AM  

This is going to get interesting before we're through.

Jennifer e-mailed the post to me, gave me the access information, and told me how to send it to Blogger. I did so, and you see the result.

Tiny, double-spaced text.

Thing is, she sent it to me as a plain-text e-mail which, following her instructions, I simply pasted into a new e-mail to send to Blogger.

Hoping to improve my ["low-tech"] capabilities for tomorrow's post, I copied one of her previous postings into a Word document and discovered that it was in the "Trebuchet MS" font (who knew?) sized at 14.5. I have no idea about why the double-spacing.

So, I will send tomorrow's post in the 14.5 Trebuchet MS font, and, until then, you and I together can wonder how it'll be formatted on the page.

Lilymane November 10, 2007 8:15 AM  

Hi Low Tech Dad :D,
Thanks for helping Jennifer post!
And just so you know the text wasn't tiny on my screen. It is a different font, but it's the same size as her other posts.
Jennifer - what fun to get to hear about the retreat! Now I really, really,really want to sign up. Several families that we know have taken vacations in Costa Rica in the past couple of years and LOVED it. Do you ever have women who come down there for a retreat and then have their families come down? I'm trying to figure out how to combine doing something for just me with a way to have a family adventure. Peace.

Steve November 10, 2007 9:03 AM  

Would love to help Dad but usually I can barely remember how to log into my own glob! Jen is my instructor on all thing bloggie but I'm sure you'll do fine while she is retreating.

Are you also taking her spot at the phire on Wednesday? :)

Anonymous November 10, 2007 10:30 AM  

Note to Lilymane - Hmmm. Was it double-spaced? Maybe I'd better try sending tomorrow's post in the font she uses, but normal size.

Note to Pidomon - I've not yet been made privy to any knowledge about a phire on Wednesday (or any other day.) Sounds like some kind of secret society. Hmmmmm.

I guess that means she really DOESN'T tell her parents everything. :)

splord November 10, 2007 2:51 PM  

(not my) dad,

The post shows up double spaced on my screen, but otherwise a good size. Maybe a point or two smaller than the font Jennifer normally uses.

I have noticed that Blogger is rather persnickety when it comes to fonts and such. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the words are readable (say, not in Mandarin pictograms or a Cyrillic alphabet), we readers will be quite happy.

(By the way, the phyre of which pidomon speaks is an open thread chat at my place, the tone of which depends on who shows up and what mood they are in. Suffice it to say that I would not invite my own Dad (a retired Methodist minister) to join us there. Things can get quite... lively. Luckily, we have Jennifer to help keep us under control.)

Anonymous November 10, 2007 4:24 PM  

Nicely done, Dad!! Hasn't the world become simply amazing since the internet came along :-)

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP