Friday, January 19, 2007

"Lowbrow" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it

Wednesday is two-for-one day at the video store that has week-long rentals.

At 2x1, we have settled into a pattern of getting two DVDs for the kids (who are happiest when they get to watch theirs over and over anyway), and either two or four for the adults to watch over the course of the week.

Sometimes we all go in together and everybody picks one. Last week, I stopped by on my own and got two of the girls' favorites, plus the ones that Alex and I had had our eyes on the week before, but which hadn't made the final cut.

This week, as it happened, Alex went in on his own. He did fine by the girls (Strawberry Shortcake and Stuart Little), and got four for us. I didn't recognize any of the titles. He says he remembered to ask for An Inconvenient Truth, but that it was unavailable.

Last night our friends didn't go to the dance class, so we didn't go out with them afterwards. Knowing there were four unwatched videos and more than a few leftover beers from Tuesday's trip, we decided to pick up some Chinese food (we're conducting a survey to determine where we can get the best egg rolls) and eat in.

I told him to pick one of the videos, and may have mentioned that I was in the mood for something light. (Did I? Did I say that? Does that make it my fault?)

So we sit down to take-out Chinese food and Alex pops in a little something tasteful.

According to Wikipedia, the film in question, which "was not screened for critics before its release, was universally panned by critics and avoided by moviegoers alike. Three days following its release, the film was ranked number one on IMDb's Bottom 100, and as of January 15th, 2007, it is ranked number #51 in the Bottom 100."

Or, in the words of the reviewers,

  • It's not a movie; it's a cause for dismay.
  • Flatulence ensues.
I didn't giggle throughout what was, essentially, a 90-minute fart joke. Nope, not me. And I most emphatically don't recommend that anyone else take the time to see this movie. No, no.

(But? If you do? Two beers, minimum. And if you haven't spent a significant period of time somewhere at least as far south as North Carolina, you probably shouldn't see it at all.)

4 comments:

Jeanette Lewis January 19, 2007 7:37 PM  

Sounds like a movie I'd definitely want to avoid. Thanks for the warning.

Kit January 20, 2007 2:32 AM  

It's great that you have a week long video rental, ours have to go back the next day. I guess if it is as bad as that though you want to give it straight back anyway!

Joan January 20, 2007 12:03 PM  

Oh my gosh, I had not heard of anyone who actually watched this movie (and am in NC)

Anonymous January 20, 2007 4:30 PM  

Thanks for the warning. There are so many bad films out there, and so few really good ones.

A click a day for good causes

The Hunger Site The Breast Cancer Site The Child Health Site The Literacy Site The Rainforest Site The Animal Rescue Site

Added 6/12/06

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP